Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practicing Movement And Transitions

bruce282

I realize that I might be asking a question that can't be fully answered but here goes.

I've been shooting IDPA and IPSC for about year. I'm 56, overweight and pretty inflexible, so I loose a lot of time anytime I have to go to a knee or prone and get back up. I'm working on the weight and flexibility in the local rec center's swimming pool and weight room.

Until recently I bounced between a Glock17, a CZ40B, or a Springer 1911 Mil-Spec depending on my mode and ammo supply. About 2 months ago I decide to stay with Glock for now, 9MM being the cheapest to shoot. I use the same gear for both IDPA and USPSA. I a high D in USPSA and an SSP/MM in IDPA.

I have an annual membership to the NRA range in Fairfax Virginia. Due to matches at the range and it not opening until 5pm during the week, I am able to make use of it on the weekends and occasionally on Thur or Fri night. It's a 50 yard range. I currently have no access to an outdoor range in the area. I must admit to a little envy when I read a post that starts "I think I'll head to the range (or my back yard) and setup that drill and try it out. Back in 2 hours".

Finally (!) to the question. I practice drawing, shooting and reloading at the range. I've tried to use my timer, but unless the place is almost empty (almost never happens) that's hopeless. How do folks without access to a range that allows moving and shooting to multiple targets practice things like transitions, and moving in and out of boxes. I have Matt's first 3 DVD's, all I need is range like that to practice on. I do have a 2 car garage that I was thinking about putting up several targets to practice transitions with while dry firing. Would an airgun be an option for practicing in the garage ? Any other ideas are gratefully accepted.

Bruce

OK Just found this, lot's of good information http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33595]

Edited by bruce282

How do folks without access to a range that allows moving and shooting to multiple targets practice things like transitions, and moving in and out of boxes. I have Matt's first 3 DVD's, all I need is range like that to practice on. I do have a 2 car garage that I was thinking about putting up several targets to practice transitions with while dry firing. Would an airgun be an option for practicing in the garage ? Any other ideas are gratefully accepted.

Quite a bit of progress can be made on entry and exits just by practicing it in dryfire and paying attention to what you are doing. So, the idea to placing targets in your garage is a great one. :) Reduced targets that fit on a 8.5x11 sheet of paper can be found on this forum and can help simulate distant targets. A single stick can serve as the entry/exit demarcation.

I don't bother too much with airsoft, but some folks really like them... give it a try.

Respectfully,

Mark Kruger

I've spent the last couple weeks working seriously inside my 2-car garage, and I feel it's helping immensely.

I have dry-fire targets of different sizes, along with some real USPSA targets. Many ranges will let you take the shot-up ones home, after a match. Also put up a barricade, and some paper-plates to resemble steel, and one the garage floor, I'll use duct-tape to secure a stick or two for boxes.

So I'll set up some kind of "stage" and run it for a week, or so, before changing up. I'll set my CED timer to the highest sensitivty, and end the stage by slapping a piece of styrofoam placed near the timer.

You can work up quite a sweat in a hurry, even in a small space.

I've spent the last couple weeks working seriously inside my 2-car garage, and I feel it's helping immensely.

I have dry-fire targets of different sizes, along with some real USPSA targets. Many ranges will let you take the shot-up ones home, after a match. Also put up a barricade, and some paper-plates to resemble steel, and one the garage floor, I'll use duct-tape to secure a stick or two for boxes.

So I'll set up some kind of "stage" and run it for a week, or so, before changing up. I'll set my CED timer to the highest sensitivty, and end the stage by slapping a piece of styrofoam placed near the timer.

You can work up quite a sweat in a hurry, even in a small space.

I would practice isolating what you want to work on, essentially agility and plyometric speed training. Do activities that might help this, basketball, raquetball, martial arts, chase a chicken around, whatever. If you look at games you played as a kid, tag, king of the mountain, kick the can, etc, they were designed to develop physical tools to be used later in life (I never turn down an offer to play tag with my daughter). You'll get in shape, develop your tools and have fun at the same time. Whe you feel and increase in your physical capacity you can start mixing it back in with your shooting. Sometimes when we do something we really like (shooting) its hard to concentrate on what we really need.

Alot of it is also mental. You have to "think" fast. Burst up the stairs instead of taking the elevator. Race that shopping cart around Walmart. So many people make it a "program" or a chore they have to do. If you make it fun and part of your everyday life you'll be more likely to stay with it.

Edited by ArnisAndyz