Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight Replacement

AFDavis11

I was wondering if I could trouble you guys for laymans terms of how to swap out front sights on 625 and other Smiths. Seems I'm not quite getting it. Do you simply hammer out the pin and lift the front sight off or is there another easier method. Are there any simple tools I should use to blow out that pin (I've tried a few things). From my searches I think the fact that one gun is a 325 might make a difference, it seems to have a hollow pin, if that makes any sense. I've read the threads after a search but they don't equate to any reality I can fathom. I've read that there is another pin somewhere but don't know where... I've have managed to remove the pin and sight on my Model 66, but I don't think I did it the correct (smart) way.

Thanx

325 uses a roll pin, others like 625 and 66 use a solid pin. Holes probably won't line up and the pins are not the same size.

As for how to remove, proper size drift will do the trick. To re-drill a new site, proper size drill bit in a Dremel (There's that word again) and a very steady hand always work for me.

Edit to add: No Mar hammer or German silver work to remove the sight once the pin is out.

Regards,

080722010lg.jpg

Brownell's Armorer kit for S&W. Drifts are #6

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Allan,

The front sight pin on my 625's mic at .055 +/-. The drill bit should be a No. 54 bit. The drift is available as a single tool from Brownell's. I don't remember what the part number is, but it is contained in the SW kit. There is a lot of stuff in there you don't need and mayhaps could spend the money on something more important. The first time I tried to drift out the pin, I got the drift stuck in the gun. When I finally got it out, I chucked it in my lathe and turned it down ever so slightly whith some sandpaper. After I got the pin out, I lost it, ordered a half dozen from Brownell's. I used a knife blade as a wedge to seperate the old sight from the barrell. Just put the blade at the juncture of the barrell and sight and gave it a tap with a brass hammer. When I fitted the new sight to the gun, I stoned it down to a pretty tight force fit.

Once I got the sight started in the slot on the barrell, I tapped it in using the brass hammer.

I was afraid of making it too tight but I wanted it snug. I guess you have to use your own judgement and a small hammer. I drilled the sight on my drill press from both sides of the gun to make sure I didn't egg out the hole in the sight base. I also used a little blue lock-tite in the sight base and the pin hole. I hope the others will chime in and add to this or give additional guidance where I could have done this job better.

If we missed something, let us know.