Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Boycott Valero Gas Stations

bountyhunter

I laughed as the idiots speaking to congress said there is "no gouging"... there sure as hell is gouging out here in kali.

The discount price for regular out here is about $3.00 right now. We have a valero by my house I used because they take Master card and (until recently) charged the fair price. There is a Texaco name brand station across from it, always about 15 cents higher because it's name brand.

Recently, valero hiked their prices to match the Texaco... so I boycotted them and so did everybody else. That valero was empty and the discount staion one block up was packed. Valero eventually lowered their prices somewhat... still about 5 cents above "discount", but lower than name brand. Boycotting works.

I was empty last night and drove into a Valero about two miles from the one I usually frequent... and was stunned to see $3.40 on the regular pump.... a full 35 cents higher than the other station.

35 CENT GOUGING! THATS ABOUT $5 EXTRA ON THE TANK!

I bought one gallon (just enough to go to the range and back home) and drove off.

WATCH THE PRICES!

Some stations are using this as a license to kill.

BOYCOTT THE ONES PULLING THIS CRAP!

YOU ARE THE MARKET.

You made a market decision by getting one gallon and not more. Those nice folks are just trying to figure out where their price can be to maximize profits without destroying themselves by going past what the market will support.

And $3.40? Must be close to a highway or something like that.

YOU ARE THE MARKET.

You made a market decision by getting one gallon and not more. Those nice folks are just trying to figure out where their price can be to maximize profits without destroying themselves by going past what the market will support.

And $3.40? Must be close to a highway or something like that.

It is close to a freeway, but I "surveyed" a bunch of other stations on the freewy edges and most were "only" about $3.15 to $3.20.

There is clearly about a ten to fifteen cent premuim for gouging the tourists that drop off the freeway to tank up, but valero's prices are WAY above that.

The problem now is that people are so shell-shocked numb by high prices they don't register anymore.... and they don't watch out for gougers. believe me there are plenty of stations taking advantage of that....

I just e mailed Bill Kleese in San Antonio and asked him he felt about his company's outrageous pricing of gasoline. I will let you know what he says when he answers.... <_<

If he fails to get back to me I will just consider it to mean he really does not give a damn about what I (we, the people) think.

The Arco close to my house is running about $3.11 and the 76 in my town is running at $3.15. Usually when the Arco is that close, since I use credit at the 76, it comes to about the same price at the arco since they charge you $.45 to use debit. It has to be at least 8 or 9 cents difference (arco to 76) to make it worth it to me to buy the lower priced gas. Valero locally is running close to the 76 stations as is the Local Shell station. The discount stations aren't much cheaper around here. I live in Contra Costa County, home of several refineries. There is Phillips Petroleum in Rodeo, Chevron in Richmond, Shell in Martinez, and one or two others in Benecia and Pacheco.

Vince

The discount stations aren't much cheaper around here.
I really don't begrudge the discount stations the right to price their gas up their with the name brands. Let's face it, they are out to make as much as they can.

My main gripe is when I see two Valero stations a mile apart selling at a 30 cent differential because they are all being supplied by the same distributor and the prices should be similar.