Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Terrible Practice Today - Tear It Apart

JFD

Set up a stage today to further test the Glock.

4 targets at 23 yards from the draw - 4 targets thru a barrel at close range - 8 more targets at 12 -15 yards from around walls.

My movement felt terrible, my accuracy sucked, everything just felt "bad".

Shot all the targets off the clock from the box (I could see 12 of them) and easily shot all "A" hits, so I didn't forget how to shoot overnight.

Hit factors were pukerific at 3.50. I would summarize my movement as being akin to a drunken monkey.

Did one run with my Para and didn't do much better, but was getting fairly tired. I did realize that I like the weight of the Para better and will confiscate that gun back from my wife.

I also realized that for Limited, shooting minor .40 ammo is just not the way to go. The little bit of speed I "might" get in no way makes up for the points loss. I was shooting faster and more accurate in the OTHER video I posted last week. THIS one was faster, just harder to view through the smoke. Of course neither involved movement.

Edited by JFD

I had resorted to my "trick of the day" of smoking while shooting.

I don't know what was the problem today. Just moving from one wall to the other had me wondering what to do with the gun.

I haven't spent much effort on where is gun is during movement, probably because I'm not sure where to start (time for research), and I've never reloaded with the gun high while moving. I keep it pretty high if I'm standing still.

I'll be working on the gun position during movement, but the reloads have been ingrained for 37 years and I'm going to have to put any improvement in that area on hold for a while longer. I'm a little worried about changing the reload since it's an "automatic action" now.

I was also having a hard time with transitions with the lightweight Glock. The gun just wouldn't settle down like the heavy Para will.

Thanks

Every practice can't be perfect, depending on whats going on with work etc and how much you can focus on the task at hand determines the outcome. Whenever I have a bad practice I try to get right back to the range as soon as possible and just do some basic things. If its 2 weeks until you practice or shoot again that practice will be in the back of your mind the whole time. You think about that bad practice more than you realize. A perfect example is this topic, your now reinforcing that bad practice. Just go to the range and do some basic drills for a short period and get your hits.

If I'm having a bad practice I'll switch drills up and do something very basic, I don't try to do it at a blistering speed. Just nice solid hits and I'll leave with that in my mind. Always, Always leave on a good note.

Flyin40

My practices are strange to say the least. When I have a bad practice the day before a local match, I smoke the match. My technique is better, my accuracy improves, etc.

When I have a smoking practice, I do not do as well the next day in a match.

So I can understand your feeling because having a bad practice bugs me to no end. But the results the following are always better.

I always finish a practice on a good note--doing something right and never on a bad note. BTW: I find my next practice after a bad always has paper plate drills in them. This always brings me back in form and technique. Even if I have to slow down to get it right.