Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My New Magwell

Stuck in C

I installed a new plastic (or is that "polymer") magwell on my G35 limited gun, dry practiced with it and then started working 12 hour days and didn't have time to live fire test it. I discovered during the local club match this Saturday that it interfered with my extended magazine base pads. The mags appeared to seat okay, but would fall out after one or more rounds were fired. Or, the mag would just drop enough that the slide couldn't pick up a round off of it, although it would stay in the gun. Click. In retrospect the classifier (Golden Bullet Standards CM 06-06) must have been pretty funny: nice quick draw, fire one, mag drops on ground. Grab another mag off of belt, insert, rack slide, fire one round, mag drops on ground. Repeat ad naseum. When I got to the required reload before changing to strong hand I had to pick a mag up off the ground. 37 seconds total time and a bunch of mikes. Ouch. Students, what lesson have we learned from this? Don't modify your gun before a match unless you have time to check it out!

• 1 month later...

Ayuh- got me a fancy pair of Miculek grips to try, put them on...felt good. Then read a post about weak-hand-reloading revolvers. Thought, "Hey, that could be cool, and trick..."

First problem: thinking.

Second problem: Jerry grips are more slippery than the rubber ones my gun came with. :blink:

Third problem: Sand in gun at match = DQ.

Those darn grips were removed before I re-cased the gun. I hate having to watch everyone else finish a match while I still work....

Lesson learned as above.