Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Officer Test Question

Butch

On the latest recertification quiz, a question asks, "A revolver shooter fires seven(7) shots before doing a reload, should he/she be moved to Open Division?" and asks for a rule citation.  I've been an RO for about six years or so, and believe the answer to be yes as more than six rounds **loaded**  violates  appendix "E" revolver standard division rules, but I cannot find any direction in print to move the shooter to Open Division.  Any assistance is appreciated.  

Appendix E, Revolver division:

16. No limit on cylinder capacity however a maximum of six rounds shall be fired before reloading. Violations shall incur one procedural penalty per occurrence.

So, shooting more than 6 rounds in Revolver Division, without a reload, is to be sanctioned with a procedural for each extra-shot.

Anyway:

6.2.6 Where a competitor fails to declare a specific Division prior to the commencement of a competition or fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements of a declared Division during the competition, the competitor shall be classified or reclassified to Open Division.

And this should be the section you were looking for.

My only concern is: if that particular shooter had declared shooting in Standard division (and his revolver did fit the box), loaded his/her cylinder at full capacity (more than 6 rounds) and shot according, no action should have been taken.

(Forgot to state: according to IPSC Rulebook, dunno USPSA).

(Edited by Skywalker67 at 7:19 am on Feb. 4, 2003)

Skywalker, thank you for the rapid response!  My confusion stems from the "new" red 14th edition which no longer has the procedural reference in app. E, at least in the version I have (copyright 2001) or on area 6's website's searchable edition.  Thus I wasn't sure whether to a) assess procedural per shot fired (or loaded *and* fired) or B) move to Open as was threatened for any non-compliant shooters at Factory Gun Nationals  Butch

Skywalker,

You may pass "Go" and collect $200 for your correct answer under IPSC Rules. Well done, pisano!

You're also correct that 6.2.6 has no bearing on this issue, which is purely a procedural one, not an equipment compliance matter, at least under IPSC rules.

Like you, I cannot comment definitively on USPSA rules, but I suspect they might invoke rule 6.2.6.

I just checked with John Amidon who informs me that under USPSA rules, firing more than 6 rounds in Revolver would cause Rule 6.2.6 to be invoked, and the competitor would be moved to Open Division.

Come to IPSC. A kindler, gentler way to penalise you ;)

Thanks Vince,

I'd like to spend my credit to get a couple of answers related to this subject:

1. Somewhere in the past (and my alzheimer prevents me from remembering where or when ) I figure I read something like this "Revolvers than hold more than 6 rounds in the cylinder can compete in standard division provided all other requirements for this latter division are met". Could you please advice if it was my last nightmare or was it reality?

2. Concerning moving competitors to another Division for not meeting the declared one requirements: if I rember well (again alzheimer...) the previous versions of the rules (don't remember if IPSC or Italian version) stated that the competitor should have been moved to the next division whose requirements were met, not directly to Open.

For example, a shooter who declared Production, that actually shot a Glock 19 with +2 basepads still met the Standard Division requirements (obviously in Minor PF), thus he could be moved there.

Wouldn't it be fairer to move the competitor according to this criteria?

After all, even if he's not complying with declared division requirements, he is actually complying with requirements for a different divsion than Open.

BTW, I will use the $200 to share some beers with you in Terni during ESC 2003 .

Don't worry about Alzheimers. It doesn't bother me too much !

I cannot comment on the Italian translation of IPSC Rules but Rule 6.2.6 has always been that if you fail to meet the requirements of a division, you go to Open.

However the rules we are working on this very minute in Orlando will allow the RM to put you into another "intermediate" division (e.g. Standard) but this is only a proposal right now.