Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 3 Extractor Problems...?

MikeWalsh

Anybody having problems with G34 extractors after 5-6 thousand rounds?

My G34 extractor would not hold a shell casing after clearing the chamber, it would drop before reaching the ejector. I replaced it with a spare I had for a G23, and to my amazement it works better than the original!

Mike,

Unless that extractor somehow broke the hook off, I would be concerned that the extractor depressor plunger spring and/or the spring loaded bearing were the cause of your inadequate extractor tension. Consider replacing them also to keep your new extractor working.

I've carried, armored (is that a proper term?), shot and trained a mid sized Glock equipped PD from 1989-2003 and am now in Iraq watching literally hundreds of G19s in action and have never seen a 9mm extractor go down the tubes (.40s are another story!), so I'm a little curious about your parts failure.

Wayne Dobbs

Mine have all worked fine for many thousand rounds, my G34 at least 12k+

Hopefully you always load rounds into the chamber from a magazine. If you drop a round in the chamber and then drop the slide on it without a magazine, you risk damaging the extractor. (Ususally chips it) B)

Maybe just a crappy run of metallurgy or tempering on that original extractor....The new part I dropped in was from a Gen 2 gun and it works perfectly. My Area 5 buddy Jim Tarr has also been seeing the same spooky problem with his G34.......You out there Jimmy?

I just found out today there are 2 versions of the spring loaded bearing in 9mm glocks. One has a very thin head, the other has a thicker head, about 3/16" thick. I was having problems with extractor tension until I replaced it with the newest part.

it should look like this:

http://glockparts.com/tab1/store/category/...ory_id%253D62nk

I just found out today there are 2 versions of the spring loaded bearing in 9mm glocks. One has a very thin head, the other has a thicker head, about 3/16" thick. I was having problems with extractor tension until I replaced it with the newest part.

it should look like this:

http://glockparts.com/tab1/store/category/...ory_id%253D62nk

The pictures shown on that site are not correct. They all show the old style bearing. The new style is only used with the new, Loaded Chamber Indicator extractor. The old style should still be used with the old style extractor. The old bearing with the new extractor puts a bit too much pressure on the round and can cause malfuntions if the brass is beat up or out of spec. We had lots of issues with our dummy rounds (which look like they were chewed on by a rat) till we fixed ours.