Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rounds Jam In Magazine

HogDog

I just started having this problem with one of my STI .38 Super magazines. It appears the rounds are jamming in the tube or the follower is twisting. I notice it when I’m unloading the mag, as I strip some rounds out the last 10 will jam and I have to take it a part to get the rounds out. It also happens on a re load, when the mag hits the ground. It does it with an STI spring or a Gramm’s kit. Any ideas? Maybe I need to clean it more often that 500-600 rounds.

What is the OAL of your ammo, and have you checked a large sample of it for length?

Also, are you cleaning the mag before each match, and at the match do you clean it after it hits the ground?

Are you running a silicone rag thru the mag, or anything similar to that to reduce the friction inside the mag?

Do your followers sit square on the top coil of the mag spring?

I've had several kinds of mag problems:

* If the round is too long, it can wedge between the front and rear of the mag.

* When a mag hits the ground just right, the impact can compress the spring, and the rounds can flip end-for-end or end up vertical in the mag.

* The spring can push past the follower, flipping it to the side, and a round ends up pinned against the side of the magazine.