Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oversize Cylinder Stop Too Soft?

cking

No this not about erectial disfunction!

I fitted and install oversized cylinder stop and it started peening immediately. It is suppose to be made of A2 tool steel. Obviously without any heat treating.

So should I use the old heat till red then quench in oil and then burn the oil off.

Or should I use casenite and dip it a couple of times.

Casenite sound right to me for small part like this hard surface soft core.

No this not about erectial disfunction!

I fitted and install oversized cylinder stop and it started peening immediately. It is suppose to be made of A2 tool steel. Obviously without any heat treating.

So should I use the old heat till red then quench in oil and then burn the oil off.

Or should I use casenite and dip it a couple of times.

Casenite sound right to me for small part like this hard surface soft core.

See disclaimer on other post.

I wouldn't harden the stop beyond what it is now. Cylinders are much more expensive than stops, and I wouldn't want to shift any peening seen on the stop into the cylinder notches or the frame stop window. I'm running one oversized stop and one MIM stop in two guns now. If I could dictate to the parts how I wanted them to wear, I would want the stops to wear out like shock-buffs and save my cylinder and frame from wear and tear. Stops are just too cheap and too easy to replace compared to cylinders and frames.

problem is way to soft. The peening start from just fitting and tuning! The MIM stop is much harder than the oversized one I got.
Maybe you have a defective one.

I'm with Walterrmitty....

First Rule of the tabletop gunsmith:

- Modify/cut-on/sacrifice the cheapest part first. B)