Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question On Taurus 608

dmd45

Hello,Bought my wife a Taurus 608 to shoot in our local steel challenge type matchs.I have always shot autos and this was my first revolver bought for competition.What I noticed out of the box is the cylinder rotates freely clockwise without touching the trigger but will not rotate counterclockwise unless the hammer is part way cocked.Is this a defect or is this ok.Thanks

Edited by dmd45

dmd45, Not being a Taurus shooter I am just going from memory of the old ones. I don't believe the cylinder should come unlocked until the trigger is depressed enough to pull down the cylinder stop as in the Smith design. Maybe Randy can illu/// ilumi///shed some light on this. rdd

Yikes! :blink:

It sounds like the cylinder stop plunger or spring may be sticking or the cylinder stop is mis-fit. When you open the cylinder, do you feel any spring force when you push down on the dome of the cylinder stop?

If you are not touching anything but the cylinder, and it is free spinning, something is definitely amiss.

The cylinder stop spring has pressure,what I think is wrong is the grooves in the cylinder were not cut deep enough.I compared them to a 686 cylinder and the 608 grooves are not as deep,also the machine marks in the grooves are very rough compared to the 686.I bought the gun from Davidson's and they are going to replace it.I think I am going to spend a little more and get a 686+.Thanks for your help.