Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hp-38

raschnack

Hi all.. im new to forum.. been lurking for quite some time and purchased all my dillon gear from Brian a week or so ago. I picked up HP-38 for my 40 s&w and I have come up with some loads based on other bullets and weights, but was hoping someone was using close to the same setup so I could streamline my process, its a decent drive to the range.

I was going to go with WST based on the forums here and was actually talked out of it at the store by owner.. probably should have stuck with what I had in mind originally but decided to take his advice. I did stay with clays for my 45 at least!

Anway I was hoping someone could give me some starting loads with the 185rnf precision bullet and HP38 powder. Im looking at target shooting with this load but suggesstion for both Minor and Major would be welcome. I only bought a pound and would be interestd in other powder choices I see N320 is popular as well.. which if the HP38 can get me by (i love shooting so I will go through it quick!) I would have no problem trying others for my next purchase.

Thank you for your time.

Run a search and you'll find a dozen thread on major .40.

I tried some HP 38 back a few years ago, and it' fine, but eventually I gravitated to V-V N320 for cleanliness, and finally to TG for economy and availability.

Consensus seems to be Tightgroup (around 4.7 gr) or VV N320 (Around 5.2 gr) under a 180 gr jacketed bullet and out to about 1.200" oal for an S_I. Be careful work up to final loads.

Edited by dirtypool40

what are you shooting them in? short 40s (Under 1.135) 4.5 grains 231or hp38 and the precision 185 should make major.

3.1 grains of CLAYS makes a dandy minor load...and its clean too.

hope this helps

Harmon