Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-more's And Lazerlyte's Bore Sighter

mikeAZ

Thought I'd pass on some info.... Just bought a bore sighter..... I have 4 handguns with C-Mores on them. I live a long way from the range and thought the "LazerLyte" would save both time and ammo for getting a close sight in? Have to say I'm happy with the product....(You can even SEE the "parallex" at different distances, a FIRST for me). BUT I did find another interesting thing out....When you tighten the "C-More" set screws, they change your just perfectly?? sighted in pistol's "point of aim"... In other words "It ain't gong to shoot where you think it was" before you tightened those set screws!! I'm sure the bore sighter will get you VERY close to your point of aim. I would have prefered the "hard case" to protect the bore sighter but the whole thing fit into a "old" Caspian barrel plastic case I had, so there is some protection now when I carry it in my range bag. Happy camper.

You should always adjust a C-More on one axis at a time only, and follow a "loosen set screw, make small adjustment, tighten set screw, shoot again" method - otherwise, you're right, you'll change the zero that you've established when you retighten the set screw... ;)

I've never use a bore sighter for this application before - I wonder if it'll have you shooting a bunch low, due to scope offset, etc???

Thought I'd pass on some info.... Just bought a bore sighter..... I have 4 handguns with C-Mores on them. I live a long way from the range and thought the "LazerLyte" would save both time and ammo for getting a close sight in? Have to say I'm happy with the product....(You can even SEE the "parallex" at different distances, a FIRST for me). BUT I did find another interesting thing out....When you tighten the "C-More" set screws, they change your just perfectly?? sighted in pistol's "point of aim"... In other words "It ain't gong to shoot where you think it was" before you tightened those set screws!! I'm sure the bore sighter will get you VERY close to your point of aim. I would have prefered the "hard case" to protect the bore sighter but the whole thing fit into a "old" Caspian barrel plastic case I had, so there is some protection now when I carry it in my range bag. Happy camper.

I found this out too, I tightended the set screw and completely changed my zero. What I do now is just snug it up. You have to be really careful with a Cmore anyways, if you tighten it too much it will crack the Cmore frame. It doesn't take much either. Just snugging up works fine.

Flyin40

XRe: Shot Sat. match.... the bore sighter saved lots of "sight-in" ammo. at 20 yards up & down were fine... gun shot " left... only had to adjust horizontal plane..slightly, 5/6 rounds and all was well. I think this is a good tool for the price! A HA HA? (makes you aware of the parallex) ... something else for the "mind" to overcome??? Shooting 9mm major.... happy with this "move" also. (thanks, Jon Merricks) mikeNM

I have been using a Laser bore sighter for a while now. Use it for everything from iron sights, red-dots and magnified 'scopes. In handguns and long-guns. They are indeed a time and ammo saver.

It is also, as noted, very interesting to see "visually" the varying correction/s needed when shooting an Open gun with an "offset-side mounted" C-More. It's an eye opener, if you are a "tack driver". It actually inspired/motivated me to design a center weighted side mount to eliminate this ocurrence.

I've had some trouble trying to illustrate how the "lock down" screw works to some shooters. Why is it that the dot seems to mysteriously move as they adjust it, and then move again after they are finished, and tighten the lock. Next time I will just insert the laser bore sighter and show them. :D:ph34r:

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

I would be cautious in depending on what a laser bore sighter shows. It can be off by quite a bit depending on how well the arbor fits the bore and the adjustable arbors are especially bad. If its an open gun the arbor may not reach into much of the actual barrel. I use one to but I chuck the arbor up in my lathe and zero the run out in it while turning the chuck. With optics you have to allow for the distance the dot is above the bore, that's easy, just put the gun a couple of inches from a piece of paper taped to a wall and mark where the dot is and where the laser dot is, that is the amount up close the gun will shoot low. If you try to zero it at 10 yds or less it will be very high at 25. I'm lucky to have 25yds indoors and have mounted a truck tail light reflector at that distance to make it easy to see the laser. I've found with an open or iron sight gun I can get pretty close using the laser and reflector after taking all the run out of the laser on the lathe but still live fire. Revolvers are a different world entirely.

Edited by 2alpha

• 2 weeks later...

Thought about that too... I've rotated the bore sighter.... in the barrel and got very very close to the same dot locations....(no mill or lathe)... I have the adjustible end (plastic nub) fairly snug... and this is about as good as one could expect from the tool??? I'm happy and feel this was a GOOD investment!