Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trail Boss Compatible With Dillon Powder Measures?

I have been warned that Trail Boss doesn't meter well through Dillon's powder measures. On the other hand, of course, I have heard it works fine. Unfortunately neither of these "opinions" came from people who have used Trail Boss in Dillon's measures themselves, just "what they'd heard."

The Trail Boss "flakes" are huge, but I have heard that it is really good in 45 Colt and other calibers. Thinking of trying it in 45 Colt, 38-55, & 45-70. But if it doesn't meter well, why bother?

Didn't find the answer in any previous thread here, though I could have missed one.

Anyone have any first hand experience they can share?

Thanks,

Bob

I have been warned that Trail Boss doesn't meter well through Dillon's powder measures.
Horsefeathers and balderdash.

I use Trail Boss. It meters fine through my measures. I have disabled the 'failsafe' mechanism through a variation of EricW retrograde. My powder measuring process is to throw 10 charges in the pan and measure that. The average of 10 charges is my charge. Rechecking the powder throw after a few hundred rounds it's never off by more than .2gr for 10 charges. Trail Boss works fine.

I did read somewhere that if your charge is more than 5.0gr that you'll have to use the large powder bar as you have run out of adjustment on the small powder bar.

FWIW: Gave it a try in .45 with Precision Moly bullets. Couldn't get to a confortable major PF at max load. Also had a strange, hard to describe feel to it. Use it as it is promoted, lead bullets in revolvers.

More FWIW: Good reloading practice is start low and work up slowly. You can go too low. S&W 686 4". 158gr LSWC. 2.0gr Trail Boss. 427fps. Glad the Pact Chrono beeps when it records a reading. I was wondering if the bullets made it out of the barrel. It was a riot watching the bullets go downrange.

FWIW: Gave it a try in .45 with Precision Moly bullets. Couldn't get to a confortable major PF at max load. Also had a strange, hard to describe feel to it. Use it as it is promoted, lead bullets in revolvers.

+1