Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No Shooting For 12 Weeks!

Solarius

Basically, I'm a college student out in California (I'm originally from Ohio) and I've been away from shooting this whole year. I was so excited to go back home for the summer and start shooting, but I got an internship in New York City that I just can't pass up. This, of course, means no shooting for a long time.

I get two weeks between school and work, and I'm basically going to go shooting every day. I'll be dryfiring as much as possible while in NYC, but I'm scared of picking up bad habits like grip, etc. since they're not getting corrected by live fire.

Is there anything I could do to prevent screwing myself over? Next year during school I'm going to try shooting IPSC (for the first time... I'm a new handgun shooter) in the Bay Area, so I want to get some practice first.

Basically, I'm a college student out in California (I'm originally from Ohio) and I've been away from shooting this whole year. I was so excited to go back home for the summer and start shooting, but I got an internship in New York City that I just can't pass up. This, of course, means no shooting for a long time.

I get two weeks between school and work, and I'm basically going to go shooting every day. I'll be dryfiring as much as possible while in NYC, but I'm scared of picking up bad habits like grip, etc. since they're not getting corrected by live fire.

Is there anything I could do to prevent screwing myself over? Next year during school I'm going to try shooting IPSC (for the first time... I'm a new handgun shooter) in the Bay Area, so I want to get some practice first.

NYC has some seriously restrictive handgun laws. You might best be served by finding out if you can take your pistol with you.

In NY it is illegal for you to touch a handgun if you do not have a NY resident gun permit. Looks like you will have to leave 'em at home. That realy sucks. I get antsy if I don't see/touch my babies every couple of days.

I'm going to grab an airsoft replica and play with the trigger and weight until it approximates the real thing. Then I'm going to spray paint it bright orange and plug the barrel. These kind of things just make you love your home state, don't they?

Anyhow, my question was more about how to practice without any live fire verification.