Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Uspsa Shooter

I did that with skeet. I learned to listen to the basics and do what worked for me and my body...I got to AA and went back to pistols.

I had a rather unconventional stance...

jgilmore16,

Have we shot together at GMPS? I belong there because there are a bunch of really nice folks. Good club matches and we host the AWARE/Area 7 this year which is always a great match.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry but I strongly believe that through practice you will pick up on techniques and your own moves. Reading how others want you to do it will not work. You try and be some other person you are not. All you have to do is learn where to reload, how to get good shooting on the move, your steps and self desernent that comes natural is what will make you good besides knowing the rules. Good Luck! :rolleyes:

I'd have to agree with this advice. Borrow DVDs listen to what people heard at classes BUT shoot as much as possible and learn to reload. I know several GMs that never took a class but shot 20,000 rounds a year and figured it out on their own and sometimes even better. Learn to draw fast, reload fast, watch the front sight for two quick shots and even learn to point shoot close targets but SHOOTING is what will help the most IMHO.

SHOOT with as many upper level shooters as you can. Their advice is free and their technique will help you improve.

• 1 month later...

I agree that handling the gun every night for 20 minutes is important, whether you are dry firing or not. It is really obvious at a match which shooters are comfortable with a gun in hand and which are not. The ones that aren't comfortable spend time thinking about their grip, the 180, their trigger finger being out of the trigger guard, etc; they are the slow ones. The ones that are comfortable and familiar with the gun spend their time focusing on the sights and the targets; they are the fast ones. I'm still somewhere in between :D