Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Everything Got Small

Your resident computer dumbass has more questions -

Last night I downloaded the latest Microsoft update and today EVERYTHING is soooooooo small. I am actually getting a headache trying to read the forums.

The icons on the main page of windows, web pages..you name it and it is TINY. I have tried changing things from the desktop and nothing seems to work. I can change the display size but it gets very blurry. If I make the text larger on the browser, it is a weird font that I can barely read.

Does anyone have a clue of what I can do to change it????

Thanks,

Zach <------wants his old windows back.

If you have restore points from before it happened, you should be able to load it and return to where you were at before the update.

Start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system restore. Go into System Restore, select the date to restore (if the calendar has bold dates, those are restore points) and it should be okay again.

I'd wait until some other folks respond as they may have a better fix since you will lose everything done since that date.

Thanks guys -

I did the system restore for 2 days ago and everything seems to be back to normal. I certanily never knew about that option ;-)

Is there something that I can do now to not have the option of downloading the update appear every time i shut down the computer? Can I make it "go away"?

Thanks for all the help,

Zach

You just need to hold down the CTRL key and use your scroll wheel on your mouse to return it to normal. System Restore is overkill to fix that. :D Unless you inadvertently changed your screen resolution, and you can fix that by going to Control Panel, Display, Settings, and use the Screen Resolution Slider bar to lower the resolution.

Edited by bberkley

It happened again as I cannot get my computer to NOT install the update. I tried the scroll technique, and although it makes my browser screen text appear larger, I can barely make out the address bar etc...

I have been trying to change the resolution, but it seems to make everything appear "fuzzy". Is there a standard resolution?

Thanks for the help,

Zach

EDit - --It also makes everything internet related a terrible font that I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change. When I change it in my browser (Now firefix), nothing seems to happen.

Edited by Qstick

Qstick,

How big is your monitor? 15", 17". 19", 21"? Is it a CRT or LCD? If its a laptop, most laptops now only look good at one resolution.

I use a 19" LCD, and run 1280x1040 resolution. If you use a CRT, try setting it to 1024x768 at 75hz refresh rate (refresh rate can be found on the Advanced section for display properties).

My monitor is a 17" dell flat panel.....

I am set to 1280 x 1040 and anything lower seems to make it larger, but also fuzzy and difficult to read. This change definately coincides wit the Microsoft update that was installed, but for some reason I can no longer use the restore to go back a day.

Any other ideas of what to check...I really do appreciate the help,

Zach

Edit to add that everything on the computer is affected - oulook and the startup screen etc...

Edited by Qstick

My monitor is a 17" dell flat panel.....

I am set to 1280 x 1040 and anything lower seems to make it larger, but also fuzzy and difficult to read. This change definately coincides wit the Microsoft update that was installed, but for some reason I can no longer use the restore to go back a day.

Any other ideas of what to check...I really do appreciate the help,

Zach

Edit to add that everything on the computer is affected - oulook and the startup screen etc...

Try changing the font size here:

disp.jpg

I made them extra large and that seemed to help the cause immensely. Is there a similair way to change the actual font that everything is displayed in? Also - what is the stadard font for viewing etc...?

Even the font for the address bar etc....is difficult to read. I also noted that everytime I open a new window, I need to adjust the size with the control/scroll method. Any idea of how to set a default?

I'm sorry I'm a moron at this.....

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Qstick

Change the screen resolution back to 1024 x 768, and make the font size in display properties Normal. You'll have to try and find a combination that works for you. Changing the refresh rate isn't possible for a LCD monitor, so don't worry about that.

I can't seem to dfind the right combo - but I will keep checking. Is it normal to have to scroll through the sizes everytime to get the right one....I don't recall having to do that before.

Zach

I can't seem to dfind the right combo - but I will keep checking. Is it normal to have to scroll through the sizes everytime to get the right one....I don't recall having to do that before.

Zach

No. Maybe your control key is sticky, or your keyboard is bad if thats happening all the time.

You know, if you install logmein from www.logmein.com and msg me the login info, I can remote into your box and try and help you out.

I don;t think it is something like that - I think it is more of a setup thing since it is everytime I open a new browser window - I can change pages and be fine, but open a 2nd or 3rd browser window and that is when it happens. I am downloading now and will pm you shortly - I appreciate the help,

Zach