Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie A Little Confused Needs Help

45junkie

I have been reloading 45 and 9mm for 2 years. I just started loading .40 S&W. Several of you have suggested some loads for me but I am confused about the length. Anything over 1.135 sticks out of the bottom of the case guage. But I see many loads on this forum that extend as far as 1.2. Can someone please help me understand how you can load so long and still have it function.

Thanks,

Bill

The Case Gauge is designed to factory standard length COL.

Most of the guns used in IPSC/USPSA have barrels that will accept longer rounds.

Most shooters find that their guns shoot more accurately when the distance the bullet must travel before engaging the rifiling of the barrel is minimized.

Most also find that longer loads produce loads that are a little softer.

At least that's been my experience.

I think for a production gun XD, glock etc. You have to stay with 1.135 to feed. For a para or STI you can load much longer and still feed. Practically, this means you don't want alot of the suggested loads if you are loading for production. Decreasing the OAL will increase your pressure alot. For me OAL is one of the first things I look at when someone suggests a load. If they don't state it ....