Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ppc Gun Spitting Solved

quadra

Recentlky acquired a Phoenix Armory PPC revolver: based on a 586, with all the PPC good stuff--Whichita rib, bull barrel, light trigger, double action only. When loaded with Zero 148 gr. HBWC over 3.1gr of W231, I experienced good accuracy but much annoying "Spitting." In lockup the barrel to cylinder gap seems a comfortable .002. Today I tried Berry's 148 copper-plated HBWC over 3.2gr of TiteGroup. What a difference! No more "spitting" and fine accuracy. Off a bag rest at 50' outdoors I had no trouble putting several cylinders full into one big hole a little bigger than a quarter. Anyone else have similar experiences? Thanks.

I never had spitting in my Bill Davis PPC gun but I have experienced it in other revolvers. Spitting is more often related to the powder you use rather than the bullet. Just changing your powder will usually make a difference.

Neal in AZ

>Spitting is more often related to the powder you <

You are right on, on that one. Spitting unburned powder particles can be a problem. Sometimes this will occur because there is a lot of burning and the pressure max as the bullet crosses the barrel-cylinder gap.