Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Love That Dawson Ice

Hotwings2001

Got the Dawson Ice magwell installed and wow. Perfect fit and makes my grip feel much better due to it providing a great base. Kinda tricky at first till I figured out that the plastic insert has to be removed first. No instructions provided with it, but I did enlist the help of this forum and what do ya know---success. :D

I think the idea is that if (when) the magwell gets chewed up, you can replace the insert...Possibly the plastic is more slippery, too? Dunno.

I, too, confess to *really* liking this magwell. The only issue I have, is some magazines no longer drop-free, but I have enough that do, I'm not going to mess with things.

Wish I would have asked before I pryed the plastic insert off and cracked it at the retaining points. :(

Call the good folks at Dawson and tell them your tale of woe. They will send you a replacement, I'm sure.

-Chet

How did you get it installed?

When I tighten down the magwell screw it pulls the well off the front of the grip?

Also, did you file the plug to get mags to fit in the gun? Mine swelled the grip too much for them to fit.

Dan

Mine fit just fine on a g35, just needed a little wax to get the brass part to seat itself inside the gun. Almost every mag I have needed a small about of base plate sanding on the sides to make them fit into the gun. I did find a couple of +2 base pads that just won't fit in the mag well. The part of all this that really is disturbing is that Dawson won't sell the magwell with the white insert installed, you buy the magwell, it ships with the black insert and you have to plunk down $20 more bucks to get the white insert. Must be the marketing guys needing to make a buck more for that Lexus...

michaels

I'll give them a call, can't hurt.

I've been reading that other guys have had some "fitting" issues. Mine went on easily (I already discussed the insert) but tonight I noticed that my strong hand pinky is getting pinched between the magwell and grip during recoil. (G22 w/167 pf) Stronger grip isn't an option. Maybe a little JB weld or something between the magwell and grip?

Wish I would have asked before I pryed the plastic insert off and cracked it at the retaining points. :(

Call the good folks at Dawson and tell them your tale of woe. They will send you a replacement, I'm sure.

-Chet