Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Porting My Own Barrel

dmd45

I have an extra glock 34 barrel and was going to port this barrel myself.I have been a machinist for almost 15 years and have the knowledge and machines to do this,but my question is what is the best way to remove any burrs from inside the barrel.Thanks

I have an extra glock 34 barrel and was going to port this barrel myself.I have been a machinist for almost 15 years and have the knowledge and machines to do this,but my question is what is the best way to remove any burrs from inside the barrel.Thanks

Sinker EDM---no burr at all. Or with conventional tooling:

Very sharp tooling, lots of coolant/lube (I use Mystic Metal Mover). Light peck at breakthrough. Very little burr, what there is will shoot smooth in short order. Or you can

do the lead lap thing and lap the bore smooth. Hint: Start your ports with a center or

spotting drill. Spot it to just over port diameter, then finish the hole with a 2 flute endmill.

Something I'm going to try on my next barrel port project: Fill the barrel with Cerro-Safe

in the area of the ports. Machine the ports, then melt the Cerro-Safe out. With the

barrel esentially a solid, there should be no burring. That's the theory anyway.

I just use four flute carbide endmills, but I lap out the hole a little to smooth out the sides and make cleaning easier. I haven't had any burr problems, but if there is a small burr, a couple rounds will take care of it.

Edited by TimWarner

I've drilled the holse slightly undersized and then used a chucking reamer to finish the holes. If there are burrs I cannot see them after this method and I've had no change in accuracy after drilling/reaming.

When I did my Beretta 92 barrel, I went for the "slot cut" effect and used a thin flat file, with a very sharp cutting edge. The rough edges were smoothed up by taking a needle point file and going in form outside at a 30 degree angle and just drawing the file tip along the cut edge enough to remove the burrs.

For the record, I have yet to be convinced that ports do anything of value in a barrel length beyond four inches, especially if you are shooting factory ammo. I kept adding ports on the Beretta (has an open top slide) and saw no difference in muzzle rise, but POI did move just a tiny bit downward.

Of course at the fourth slot, the barrel was noisy and blowing garbage back at me so I ended up chucking it. I have a "factory ported" barrel in it now and it also blows crap back at me and throws a pretty tall flash upwards shooting hot ammo.

Still not convinced ports belong on anything more civilized than a 2" snubby shooting .357.

YMMV.