Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Magwell Finish Removal

Nick H

G'day all,

I have just taken posession of an STI Edge in 38 super, my question is:

has anyone removed the factory black finish, and if so HOW did they remove it and what did the result look like?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Edited by Nick H

also, another question- how do I remove the mag well, ie which direction do I drift the pin in?

Either direction is fine... If one side of the pin has a concave end, use the punch on that side (cause that's what the concave end is meant for). You can also re-install from either side.

Thanks guys- anyone have pics of an aluminium one polished.

also, another question- how do I remove the mag well, ie which direction do I drift the pin in?

After you blast the original anodizing off, the resulting finish will be rather rough. It will take considerable handiwork to remove all the little craters from the blasting to where you will have a mirror finish. You will have to remove quite a bit of material by first sanding and then polishing. The resultant high polished "bare" aluminum will now be free to tarnish at will, and as handled. That is the reason for anodizing it whether clear or colored in the first place.

If you want it bright polished, you can send it to T&A Gun Refinishing in Hialeah, Fla. Tom there specializes in applying "hard chrome" finish to aluminum. Their phone number is (305) 681-1684. Tell Tom I sent you and to give you a good price. He is very fair and quick.

(Edited: Somehow I did not notice the inquiring poster was located in Australia. In view of that it would be prohibitive to do any such work through a source in the U.S.A. Suggest going to plan "B"...)

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

If you want to remove the black anodize, I know two good ways. Get yourself a can of heavy duty easy off oven cleaner, a plastic tub, safety goggles, an old tooth brush and dishwasher gloves. Spray the easy off on the part and let it soak for a bit. You'll start to see the color coming off in the resulting "suds". Start scrubbing with the toothbrush at this point. You'll have to continue spraying the easy off on. The part will endup kind of a black color but that will polish off.

Or, you can mix up a weak solution of hot water and drain lye. same as the easy off method but be careful not to get it in your eyes or exposed skin. Do both of these methods outdoors. You would be smart to wear a mask too. I've used both methods with success.

• 2 weeks later...