Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing Ameriglo Front Sight

Grunt

Just got my Ameriglo sights. The rear went in with a bit of "kinetic influence." No problems there. But the front sight has me puzzled. It appears that there are only enough threads to get the hex screw started. Is it safe to assume that once I start cranking that the rest will self-tap and eventually snug up? Wasn't sure if they failed to completely thread this and didn't want to muck it up.

Also, I noticed that the post is a bit sloppy and I'm concerned that it's going to twist left/right even after the screw is threaded tight.

Lastly, Should I consider Locktite on this?

Thanks!!

Grunt

Edited by Grunt

If you actually have to "crank" on that screw it will not hold. loc-tite it and try instaling it if it does not work properly your going to have to send it back anyway.

I haven't had any problems with sights turning once installed (make sure it's strait before final tightening and use good loc-tite on it)

as for your screw problem that is possible as many sights of that type are made of fairly soft aluminum. just be careful with the tension. it really sucks to get that little bolt out!!!

I put another set of Ameriglo target sights on a Glock the other day, I was able to hand turn the bolt all the way down until the sight was snug on the slide.

Remove the sight, de-grease EVERYTHING. Use Blue Loc-Tite, coat all the threads on the bolt. Install, snug it up by hand, turn the sight blade straight and true to the slide, put a little bit more torque on the bolt and set the gun aside for a few hours. Grease it up and go shoot.

One I did was a G17, I needed a taller front with 147's, I emailed them and had a taller front sight in my mailbox 2 days later. Ameriglo has been really nice to work with.

Thanks folks. HSMITH, when you say:

...I was able to hand turn the bolt all the way down until the sight was snug on the slide.

What amount of resistance did you experience? Again, I can see plainly that there are only a couple of threads in the post, and then nothing. So, just wondering if this is "normal" and if having to apply a bit of pressure to get the bolt to sink home. Thanks!

Grunt

The little socket thing that comes with the Ameriglo sights, I used that and two fingers to screw it down snug. I have pretty hard hands but I didn't have any trouble with it, a little resistance but nothing big. It didn't fee like it was cross threaded or anything, just some resistance is all.

Thanks again for the input. I do appreciate the help!

Just an update, I sent an email to TopGlock.com and explained my situation. Here's their reply:

The front sight you have is defective, we''ve seen a few of the Ameriglo front

sights having that problem lately. We are getting with Ameriglo to see about

fixing that problem. I''m going to send you another set with a return mailer,

just take the front sight from the good set and return the package with the bad

front sight inside and we''ll send it back to Ameriglo. Your USPS delivery

confirmation number for it will be ################

Jason Robinson

TGSCOM, Inc. "Where the Second Amendment Comes First"

Thank you for contacting us."

Let me be the first to say that TopGlock customer service ROCKS!!!

Grunt