Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 For Revolver

randy01

Ok for all the revolver guys out there. I'm looking for a load for my S&W 625.

The thing is that since I'm in Europe some of the powders that you guys in the US use aren't available over here. I can get VV, Vectan, WW231, and some Hodgdon powders but not always.

I normaly use Frontier and Berry's bullets.

Randy

Assuming 230 grain bullets, 4.0 grains of Hodgdon Clays or VV 310 will probably work nicely. Both are clean and soft shooting and you can use pretty much the same load data. I'd start at maybe 3.6-3.8 grains and work up to where you want to be with a Chrono.

I use Berry's 185 grain Hollow Base Round Nose bullets over VV N310 powder. My Icore loads use 4.6 grains and my USPSA major uses 6.0 grains. About 128 pf and 175 pf respectively.

Always remember to start low and work up.

Edited by Waltermitty

• 2 weeks later...
@Spook

Did you ever try VV340 and if so what is the benefit of VV320 over the VV340.

Also what PF are you making.

DVC

Randy

Sorry for the late reply Randy. I have also used 340. I like 320 because the recoil is lower. It's like the whole processs of the shot is over faster and with less recoil :)

@Spook

Thanks, I'll try working up a load as soon as my chrono gets in. Maurice didn't have the IR setup in stock and since both ranges I shoot are indoors I will need them.

Is VV320 cleaner than VV340 or is it the same?

grtz

Randy

@Spook

Thanks, I'll try working up a load as soon as my chrono gets in. Maurice didn't have the IR setup in stock and since both ranges I shoot are indoors I will need them.

Is VV320 cleaner than VV340 or is it the same?

grtz

Randy

I found the 320 is a lot cleaner than 340. I had lots of unburnt powder with 340. I clean chambers between stages anyways, but with the 320 it is more of a ritual than with the 340. With 340 I had to. With 320 I do it 'just in case'.

The IR setup is really nice. I think Saul also sells them. My load ended up being 5.15 grain of 320 over a 230 grain Frontier RN at 32mm overall length. I advise you to start at 4.9 and work your way up.

Good luck!

Ok for all the revolver guys out there. I'm looking for a load for my S&W 625.

The thing is that since I'm in Europe some of the powders that you guys in the US use aren't available over here. I can get VV, Vectan, WW231, and some Hodgdon powders but not always.

I normaly use Frontier and Berry's bullets.

Randy

I use 3.8 g of BA10 behind a Frontier 230g RN bullet.

Nice and clean and makes major.

al

Walter,

What do you see for benefits with the 180 bullet vs. the 230?

Jim

The 185 can be downloaded to an honest to goodness minor power factor for those games without a major power factor benefit, and when loaded up to major they seem to fly flatter and give better performance for those gawd-awful 50 to 75 yard standards that have been showing up at certain Area and Section matches.

On certain Steel Challenge courses with loooong shots on them, I have been known to shoot the next plate (near) before the 230 walks out and dinks the previous target.