Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar-15 With Light Hits

Loves2Shoot

I have a AR-15 that I am using Wolf ammo, JP Trigger, and standard hammer. I'm getting a light hit occasionaly on the first round out a mag. The upper doesn't have a forward assist. I was thinking about "lightening" the hammer. I was just going to drill some holes in it. Is this just dumb?

I am using this gun as the basis for a light, open gun. I am using a 18" barrel, carbon fiber upper, lightend forend, TA01 for the scope, and a C-more for the close sight. I might shoot open if I can get a Saiga mag fed shotgun, since I just can't stomach the speed loaders for shotguns and I don't care to work Kurt like reloading skillz for something I would shoot a couple of times a year.

Thanks for the input.

I have a AR-15 that I am using Wolf ammo, JP Trigger, and standard hammer. I'm getting a light hit occasionaly on the first round out a mag. The upper doesn't have a forward assist. I was thinking about "lightening" the hammer. I was just going to drill some holes in it. Is this just dumb?

I am using this gun as the basis for a light, open gun. I am using a 18" barrel, carbon fiber upper, lightend forend, TA01 for the scope, and a C-more for the close sight. I might shoot open if I can get a Saiga mag fed shotgun, since I just can't stomach the speed loaders for shotguns and I don't care to work Kurt like reloading skillz for something I would shoot a couple of times a year.

Thanks for the input.

L2S,

Yep - you need to lighten the hammer. Don't drill holes in it. Go to JP's site and look at the lightened hammer. The use your Dremel or even a hack saw to cut off the "tail" of the hammer similar to the JP hammer.

Use your Dremel to smooth out the rough edges, throw on some cold blue and your done.

Sounds like the bolt isn't completely locking up due to the top round being hard to strip off. Try down loading 1 round and see if that helps. I'd like to watch when you drill that hammer. Try grinding off the spur on the back side of hammer while being carefull not to touch the hammer sear with the grinding wheel.

It is also possible that the mag is sittin' a little high and when they are full they drag on the underside of the bolt. All my AR's get the mag catch top stoned down until full up mags seat under a closed bolt with a nice easy pistol like snick. Any need to slam a mag in means that it is sittin' tight and this needs to be fixed.

BTW, all my AR's now run full mags like there is no tomorrow.