Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Is Enroute

dakotasin

fellas... thanks for the help and suggestions when i was asking for which gun to get.

there is an ffl who is trying to break onto the scene, so he gave me a great price on a glock 35 w/ extra mags. problem is, being new like that the gun wasn't stocked, and had to be ordered. i expect i'll receive it by friday - i hope (he ships fed-ex, and don't remember now if they deliver saturdays). anyway, i'll have the glock plus 5 mags total to start w/. (no holster or mag holders yet - any suggestions there, and where to get them would be nice)

i just finished screwing together ~1500 loads for the gun (my standard 40 s&w load that runs fine thru my xd and sig: 8.4 power pistol, 150 nosler sportsman, ~175 power factor) - which puts me somewhere around 2000 rounds to learn the gun.

i went out w/ the sig and practiced a few of the pointers i've gleaned from this site, and i couldn't believe how much better it made my shooting - especially some of the grip advice and suggestions.

anyway, as someone who is not new to guns, but new to practical shooting, is there anything i should do w/ the glock sooner rather than later? specifically, wondering if it is worthwhile for an entry-level competitor to do things like change out guide rods, or springs, or?? am i better off leaving the pistol as-is to start w/, or are there some universal changes that should be considered right off the bat?

appreciate the help.

I say leave it alone at first, but I don't follow that advise. The last couple new Glocks I bought got quality STEEL sights installed and a 25 cent trigger job before they ever fired the first round. I also add some skateboard tape.

Springs, guide rods, things like that? Leave them alone. The gun will be silly reliable if you do, reliable is where it is at in the action games. If the gun doesn't run 100% you might as well stay home IMO, I see guys every weekend with guns that puke and cannot understand why they don't get things straightened out.

I am a big fan of the Blade Tech Dropped Offset Holster, about $60 but worth every penny. I think it makes a great Production holster and a very good Limited holster. I bought the last one from Speed Shooters International, they were the only ones that had the particular one I needee in stock, no complaints dealing with them either as they treated me well and shipped promptly.

I say leave it alone at first, but I don't follow that advise.

i know what you mean by that... when i get a new rifle, i make a bunch of adjustments before a cartridge is ever chambered - but i already know exactly what i want, and how to get it to feel that way.

i'm not afraid of modifying guns!

thanks for the suggestions.

well... picked up the glock today. i'm definitely excited about competing, but i didn't get that 'new gun high' i usually get. don't know if its the plastic gun, or that i might've reached the point in my accumulations that getting excited over off-the-rack guns doesn't happen anymore...

at any rate, i have 3 more mags enroute, which will total me out at 5. found a place locally that has blade tech holsters in stock, so headed out there tomorrow or monday to get the holster done.

so... gun, 5 magazines, holster... what's next? any last reccomendations before i head into town (like a belt or...)?

Two belts to choose from and only two ;)

One is from Wilderness Tactical and is the CSM model: http://thewilderness.com/

The other is the CR Speed two belt system: http://www.ghostholster.com/cr_home.htm

I have both. If you want to shoot IDPA and USPSA the Wilderness is the way to go since you can't use an inner and out belt system in IDPA. If you are just going to shoot USPSA the CR Speed seems to be the most popular choice. Some try and wear just one part of the two belt system for IDPA, but I don't think that is the best choice. Like I said, I have both.

The other thing that you might want to consider is a set of aftermarket sights. The popular choices are the Dawson Precision Adjustables or the Heinie rear and Dawson FO front: http://www.gunracing.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi...007A1B0000001B1

One of the newer options in the Sevigney fixed sights that will probably be a nice choice in a fixed sight too. Matt at the above link should have these too when they are available.

Have fun with the new G35, Rick

appreciate the help.

yeah, it is likely to be uspsa only for now - not aware of any idpa stuff, and was a fluke i found the uspsa here. i was always under the impression i would have to travel to iowa or minnesota to compete.

thanks again for the assistance!

Dawson Precision adjustable sights are the cat's meow in my book! Their magwell is sweet too, if you're going to shoot Limited or leave it alone for Production. Other than that, shoot it as-is for a while. You might get to tinkering with the trigger later.

The first "must have" is TruGrip grip tape. My G35 had to be regripped after every shot with no tape. With tape, it's a totally different ball game. Much better feel.

.25 trigger job. Must do it. No question. Other trigger mods are up to you. I'm still messing around with mine and still need to confirm tomorrow that the reduced striker spring will set off Winchester primers every time. If not, back to the stock spring. Also have a glockmeister trigger spring.

It's nice to have a tungsten guide rod and ICE magwell, but obviously the magwell won't work if you want to shoot production.

After thinning out my stock front sight and opening up the plastic rear fixed sight, mine would shoot to point of aim perfectly. I blacked out the rear outline and really could have lived with that sight setup. Of course I put on a Bomar rear and a Dawson FO front, but I could have lived without them. Didn't want to, but I could have.

Love the KKM barrel, but it wasn't necessary either. The stock barrel was accurate.

thanks for the input, fellas.

going to put a few over the chrony and see how my load chronies out.

question on the tungsten rod... are the rumors i hear of them liking to break true - or is that internet legend/specialized circumstances? i can't imagine that rod bearing that much stress, but i could be wrong... first time for everything! :)

• 1 month later...
i just finished screwing together ~1500 loads for the gun (my standard 40 s&w load that runs fine thru my xd and sig: 8.4 power pistol, 150 nosler sportsman, ~175 power factor) - which puts me somewhere around 2000 rounds to learn the gun.

Dropping bullet weight from 180 to 150 for .40SW must also drop pressures a lot. I've been using 6.8gr PowerPistol w. MG TC CMJ and I'm right around 165 PF.

I've had a tungsten guide rod in my Para for over a year, and a tungsten rod in my Glock for 2000 rounds or so. No breakage yet.

I asked the same question a long time ago here and the word seemed to be "don't worry about it". I followed that advice and have lived happily ever after B)