Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Uspsa Match, Some Questions On Division And Equipment

shooting4fun

G'day All,

I'm in the process of getting registered for my first 'major' USPSA format match. I would like to gather some information/opinions/comments regarding which division and some equipment selection questions.

First off some background, I've been shooting at the club level for several years and have enjoyed that greatly. In these matches I've used Glocks of various calibers, 9x19 and 45acp. Not much difference to me which pistol platform, except there are some slight accessory considerations (mag holders) for me.

Since I've never shoot at a USPSA formal match before, I'm entering as unclassified. The division question has me in a bit of a quandary as the following: limited, limited 10, or production. I believe that I should be able to address the requirements except for the trigger in production, I would need to revert back to the stock connector to make the trigger pull.

I'd like to hear some recommendations / comments on the division selection. Principally, I'm going to have fun on this first one.

With regards to equipment questions, I've had a go at the USPSA rule book and I've not found a conclusive declaration regarding the use of an Uncle Mikes Kydex paddle holster along with a belt. Is this an acceptable configuration? Similarly, I've got magazine holders that are configured with a paddle. I'm hoping for some enlightenment on this issue, otherwise additional equipment procurement might be in order....

THXs in advance for your time and consideration. Looking forward to your insights.

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum!

Shoot which ever one you shoot best! For production you need not change your trigger. The 5 pound minimum is an IPSC rule. In USPSA there is no minimum pull weight. Most shoot 9x19 because the Division is scored minor. Your Uncle Mikes will be just fine.

You may want to shoot Limited -10 with the .45. You may score major with it. For production your holster and mag pouches must be behind the point of your hipbone. For Limited-10 you can place holster and mags anywhere on your belt. You may also shoot Limited with either gun. No round limit, but the magazine may not be longer than 140mm. Not an issue unless you have one of those 33 round 9mm mags.

If you shoot all A's there is no handicap for shooting minor.

I'd suggest shooting production with the 9mm for a first time out and have fun! You are limited to 10 rounds in the magazine so it would be good to have at least 4, 5 is better. If you only have 2 or three mags, shoot Limited minor.

Maximum required round count for any single course of fire is 32 if you don't miss, but you may want to reload more often than just bullet count alone would suggest.

Have Fun!

Edited by AikiDale

As long as you're talking about USPSA, there's no trigger pull requirement. That would be IPSC that has a minimum trigger pull.

Unless you have extensions for your mags, I'd recommend avoiding Limited division where you'll be shoooting against folks with 19+1 capacity or more.

Sounds like you're good to go for Production. If you want more rules freedom, then go with L-10. In L-10 you can use any carry or race holster and position mags wherever you want. I'd say you should pick whatever is closest to what you've been shooting at the club level. For L-10 I'd shoot a .40 or .45 to make major, but there's nothing at all wrong with shooting minor 9mm if your main goal is to have fun.

You'll also need to be a member of USPSA.

Your fellow shooters at the match will be more than happy to help you at the match. Remember there are no stupid questions, and the experienced folks have been in your shoes when they first started.

G'day AikiDale, and JFD,

Appreciate your warm welcome and sage advice. Just got back from a run to the post office to drop off my match application. I'm going to have a go at it in the production class. I figure the fun factor is pretty high with my 9x19.

The other added benefit is that I get to see Jerry do his stuff with a wheelgun too!

Thanks again for your timely information. See you on the range some time!

Cheers!