Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Weight

Ignatz

When we get our "hardball" 45's trigger weighed at Camp Perry, the official carefully picks up the 4 pound weight. They hold the pistol so the barrel is (straight up) and as long as you can slide a piece of paper out from underneath the weight, the pistol passes. My question is, What is the proper way to weigh the trigger on a revolver. If I pick up my 625 this way, I'm at 8.5 lbs. It's a nice 8.5 lb. though. Thanks

I use a mechanical RCBS trigger pull spring gauge, the kind that "records" the highest level of tension measured during the DA pull....I push the barrel of the unloaded gun right up against the edge of my workbench so the gun itself doesn't move.....using my other hand I center the gauge bar on the center of the trigger (i.e. so it's centered both up/down and left/right).....make sure the arm is parallel with the barrel axis (again, checking both left/right and up/down).....gently and slowly pull the gauge straight back until the hammer draws back and finally falls. Then I read the guage.

(BTW, I can "cheat" it upwards or downwards by messing with the angles or starting with the bar at other places on the trigger, but why would I want to do that? I'm not trying to sell anything.....)

Mike

Edited by Carmoney

The 45 is easy because the trigger bar is parallel with the barrel. The revolver trigger is like a lever that starts an certain angle and finishes at a different angle. Thats why holding the barrel at an angle might result in a lighter pull than a barrel held straight up and down.