Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Win SX2

Dan Bone

Well, it's time for me to start on my next project. This one is to be a Limited shotgun. Rather than read it out of magazines written by a writer for hire. I'd prefer to get the feedback from you the shooters. Who has a Winchester SX2? How is it? What's good (or bad) about it?

My new super X2 practical got a real workout at the last Northmountain shoot 2 weeks ago - everyone gave it a try including a grand master and 2 masters (guese its broken in now). Ran flawless. Concensus of the benelli shooters is that it kicks less and shoots flatter than the benelli. I bought it because its limited ready right out of the box.

The downsides I heard were:

-everyone wished it had a true pistol grip.  I think such a grip would violate the assault gun ban here in the US.

-one A-class beneli shooter found the sights too "busy". Everyone liked the stock winchester fiberoptic, its just that the fiberoptic is viewed through a notch in the cantelever. I don't notice the cantelever in competition personally, so its not a problem to me.

I'm keeping it just the way it is - maybe add ammo carriers near the ejection port. My advice to buyers? After seeing the Browning Gold w/ 18 or 20 in plain barrel (5 round) WITH cantelever for about $100 to 150 less in stores here, I'd consider it -its the same action as the X2 with a "speed feed" feature - probably helps. It would need a extended tube and a fiberoptic to match the winchester.

Otherwise, buy a super X2. If you go the USPSA classified route, Phil Mitchel is  a good guy and easy to deal with.  NOTE: the ones advertised on the USPSA website DO NOT COME WITH ghost ring sights nor do they have raised front sights like the one in the frontsight article - Phil was honest about that and he tells people up front about it. Turns out the article gun was a special proto-type that is NOT available yet. Tried to call winchester for upgrade parts - got NOWHERE. Funny, they forgot to mention that detail in the article.

One more note - the X2 gobled up reduced recoil slugs, shot, buckshot and most of the 1 and 1/8 OZ trap hand loads I tried (I had some super softballs that failed to open the action fully - not enough red-dot in those). It also has a very simple action - the gas ring seems to be the only complex part on this gun.

(Edited by Carlos at 10:50 am on April 2, 2002)

I've got about 750 rounds thru mine, I really like it but it won't run anything lighter than 1 1/8 ounce 3 dram loads. It does run the tac. buck/slugs just fine. It does recoil less than my Benelli. I would recomend it but thats just my opinion.  

Steve

I know of four people in Tucson that bought SX2s.  Two of them were outstanding and have never had problems. Mine did not like lighter loads (<3 & 1/4 dram). the other would not cycle anything less than 3 & 3/4 dram shells!  He sent the shotgun back and it was returned with a new bolt.  He has not shot it since it returned from the factory.  I decided to lock my bolt back for approximately 3 weeks and  found that I can shoot shells as low as 2 & 3/4 now.  The SX2 is certainly a keeper now that it's not as picky.