Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stuck Bullet In Seating Die

Sunuva

Im very new to reloading well just tonight.

I have a 550b

I get it going and then a bullet gets stuck in the seating die! So I take it apart to get the bullet out then recalibrate do a few more then it happened again out of 25 good rounds I have gotten 3 stuck!! I am using lee dies also.

Am sure it’s my set up.

Or every now a then a primer won’t drop.

Any help would be great.

Robert.

P.s sorry for the rant :blink:

A couple of possibilites.

If you are using lead bullets, you may have and excessive buildup of bullet lube in your seating die which will actually hold the bullet and pull it back out. This is really bad as it can possibly put two bullets in a large case and make it go KaBoom.

Dillon dies (if that is what you are using) usually have a reversable insert that can be changed to fit the profile of the bullet. Although I have never seen one stick, I have seen the insert make some pretty extreme marks on the bullets.

Of course if you are using jacketed bullets what I have said probably won't have any bearing but you didn't say if you were using jacketed or lead.

Use the Dillon phone number. There is very little those folks haven't seen or heard about.

Good luck

dj

A couple of possibilites.

If you are using lead bullets, you may have and excessive buildup of bullet lube in your seating die which will actually hold the bullet and pull it back out. This is really bad as it can possibly put two bullets in a large case and make it go KaBoom.

Dillon dies (if that is what you are using) usually have a reversable insert that can be changed to fit the profile of the bullet. Although I have never seen one stick, I have seen the insert make some pretty extreme marks on the bullets.

Of course if you are using jacketed bullets what I have said probably won't have any bearing but you didn't say if you were using jacketed or lead.

Use the Dillon phone number. There is very little those folks haven't seen or heard about.

Good luck

dj

Thanks for the reply;

I am using jacketed bullets with Lee dies. I was told im not getting enough flair for the bullet to sit in that sound like it might be right so im going to try that next.

I think I got the primer problem fixed I hope.

Thanks for the good luck lol

Robert

No bullet should get stuck in the seating die. If you are seating and crimping in two different steps, back the whole die out and then run the seating stem in to get to your desired overall length. Do all your crimping on the last station. You may want to take the seating die appart and inspect it for burs.