Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vv N105 Pressure

sendf1

I am loading 10.2 g of n105 behind the 124 g montana gold bullets in a 38 sc case and the primers are smearing a little. When you take em out they look like little top hats, however they still have the firing pin dent. Does this sound like I am running the pressure too high or is this normal. Have only been loading for an open gun for about 1 month now.

Thank you

What kind of primer??? I've loaded 10.3 behind a 125 HAP w/ Winchester Small Rifle primers with no signs of flow (see my load devleopment thread....). Federal primers have a habit of exhibiting early primer flow - which might be what you're seeing. Otherwise, it may be that the dimensions of your chamber, freebore, etc, combine to make that a funky combination for you....

Edited by XRe

N105 & 124 bullets is relatively low pressure for Open division loads. You don't really need to change that. But any Open gun needs a few things to run without primer pressure signs.

If you change to CCI primers or Winchester Small Rifle primers and use an EGW extra-long firing pin you'll probably see the cratering go away - that's without changing the gun at all.

If you have a gunsmith find [and correct] inadequate chamber headspace and/or inadequate freebore then you'll have the pressure signs go away regardless of the primer or FP brand that you use. A long hammer-strut helps too.

My major loads with N105 produced very very little pressure - to the point where it looked almost like the WSP primers has been fired w/ NO powder ot projectile. I could not add enough 105 to get primer pressure signs. Must be Federal primers you are using? I was loading close to 12 grns at one point to see what effect it might have on the comp. Super safe powder IMHO. Can you tell us more about your load?

I'll say this about N105... the 170PF load I tried is *real* soft... It's also *real* expensive :D But, I agree with Carlos, seems like it'd be tough to make a dangerous load with it. A .38SC case will only hold about 13.5 grains of the stuff, and I'm not sure you can fully seat a bullet over that load, anyway. Seems like your 12gr load, Carlos, ought to be pretty "crunchy" when you're seating the head, eh?? :)

I am currently using Winchester small rifle primers and by the sound of your comments those seem to be a good choice. I a going to Chrono these loads this weekend to see how fast they are going and if they are at the correct speed and still mashing the primers I will try and post a picture to get opinions if it is something to worry about. Thank you all for your responses.

Tim

Chrono's going to help.. :) WSRs should be good. What are your other load specs - OAL, crimp, etc?? It may be that your barrel freebore is different than others, or whatever. It only took me 9.5gr to make 170PF with my gun, so it's possible that you're well over Major with that load.... :)

If everything else is equal, the MG bullets are going to display more pressure signs than Zero.

Also, forgot to say when starting out you should check every 10th round or so coming out of the press at your normal reloading pace - full shellplate, full speed - and see if your OAL and your crimp is where you thought it was. Personally, I use .002" of crimp and load roundnose FMJs to 1.240" and JHPs to 1.230" for my STI.

You might see a different amount of crimp when going from used brass to new brass, or from one brand to another brand. Worth a look.

Still think the EGW firing pin will help a great deal.

Xre wrote: "Seems like your 12gr load, Carlos, ought to be pretty "crunchy" when you're seating the head, eh?? "

Hahaha - never thought of describing any of my reloading practices as "crunchy" - but that is an accurate description! I used a 2 step crimp with a combo seat/crimp die and then an extra crimp only die in the last station of the 650. I also crimp the Montanas tightly.

I have shot my 1.5 gr load with federal primers just to check

for preasure, and have not found any.

I think you have to use a little more powder than that before you start seeing pressure signs.... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I load a 115 jhp Zero bullet with 12.0 plus grs of N105 with winchester small pistol primers. With no signs of pressure. I have been using this powder for over 4 years in my 38 super. If you are getting pressure it's not the powder. My 2 cents worth.