Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preferred Vv Powder

medic21

I shoot a stock Les Baer TRS in IDPA using 200 LSWC and 230 FMJ. I'm looking to change the brand of powder I use to VV. Their reloading manual lists loads for N310, 320 and 340. I have read many of the threads on this site and other than reading that N310 does not give a large margin of error and is not for beginners, there doesn't seem to be any advice for me. I really do not want to buy a pound of each. Anyone out there willing to share advice and make a recommendation?

BTW: I plan on using VV 3N37 for my 9mm BHP using 115 JHP - any comments on that?

Thank you

VV310 is a versatile powder, like say Bullseye. It is an EXCELLENT powder in .45acp, and I use it to load extremely accurate loads with 200 HG loads and 230 jhp loads for competition. Being cheap I still use CLAYS for 230lrn loads. :lol:

If you are looking for 130PF loads and know how to load 9x19 cartridges using the case mouth tension instead of crimping the crap out of the case to hold the bullet( I myself am reformed :wacko: ) (read case mouth tension so the bullet doesnt set back)and work your loads up safely you can have some really nice steel or production loads with 310. If you want loads over 1050fps with your 9x19 in your BHP or dont have a lot of experience loading ammo then I would recommend VV320 for that. It works well at those speeds or higher, and is an accurate powder for 115s, as is Titegroup, W231(HP-38), and Univeral Clays. V3n37 is another really good .355 bore powder along with Ramshot Silhouette (which is repackaged Winchester Action Pistol) but the charge weights are higher than with TG, W231, and Unv. Clays(less powder=more economical). Good luck and enjoy, DougC

Edited by DougC

Maybe this will be useful to you:

Firearm: Springfield 1911 A1 45ACP

Range: 25 yds

Bullet: 200 gr Montana Gold FP

Powder: VV340

Oal: 1.210

Primer: CCI 300

Brass: Win

Powder Charge - Muzzle Velocity - 5 Shot Group

6.5---------------------784---------------1.055

6.6---------------------740---------------1.706

6.7---------------------774---------------1.411

6.8---------------------806---------------2.096

6.9---------------------816---------------2.315

7.0---------------------846---------------1.817

7.1---------------------865---------------1.025

Tls

Edited by tlshores

Maybe this will be useful to you:

Firearm: Springfield 1911 A1 45ACP

Range: 25 yds

Bullet: 200 gr Montana Gold FP

Powder: VV340

Oal: 1.210

Primer: CCI 300

Powder Charge - Muzzle Velocity - 5 Shot Group

6.5---------------------784---------------1.055

6.6---------------------740---------------1.706

6.7---------------------774---------------1.411

6.8---------------------806---------------2.096

6.9---------------------816---------------2.315

7.0---------------------846---------------1.817

7.1---------------------865---------------1.025

Tls

Tls -- man that's some serious precision in group size measurement. :)

In all seriousness, how do you explain the hump in the middle?

N310 is a darn good powder for .45. It will burn clean and shoot consistent at higher charges. It took about 4.5 grains to push a 200gr. moly coated bullet to Major PF out of my Kimber 1911. No pressure signs. Note that for a cheaper solution Clays is real close to N310, but I got some primer flattening pushing Major PF with 200gr. bullets. Now, I use 230gr. FMJ's with 4.1 of Clays. It's close to N310 in my opinion at almost half the price.

Steve,

As a former benchrest shooter it has alway been my habit to measure my groups with a dial caliper.

Having a "hump" as you call it is not at all unusual.

It is what I call the accuracy curve.

Some of this is due to the harmonics of the barrel.

As the pressure curve changes, it will affect accuracy (even in pistol barrels)

Some of it is due to human error, which can be eliminated by shooting multiple groups and taking an average.

For me, experimenting is part of the fun of IPSC.

Tuning the gun and ammo to get the best accuracy and still make major is part of the game.

I'm sure some folks will read this and laugh their a@# off.

However, I think its worth it.

The next time some evil course designer has you shooting at popper that's 40 yards away, what would you rather have?

A blaster that shoots 1" groups or 4" groups?

Tls

Edited by tlshores