Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Some Good Clays/200 Lswc Load Data

epj

You guys have convinced me to try Clays. I got a bottle of Clays and some 200 gr. lead SWC bullets. They are the single groove style. I'm looking for a good "plinking/steel plate" load that will function in guns with stock springs. The Lyman manual doesn't even list a load for Clays in this bullet weight, but I know several folks have pet loads for Clays in this weight. I suspect I'm looking in the 4.0-4.5 range, but give me some specifics. TIA

3.7 to 4.0 for poofer accuracy loads. Depending on your barrel you will need 4.3 to 4.5 for Major PF 165PF. I absolutely love the powder for poofer loads and 230gr major loads! Enjoy, and realize that due to the powder size loading less than 3.0 grains will cause problems with a Dillon or similar style powder measure. There is also a thread about this on 1911 forum right now in the reloading section.

Edited by DougC

I shot 200's and Clays for a couple years. My Para P14 with a 14 pound recoil spring and 23 mainspring would function 100% with 3.6 grains. Put a new 16 recoil in and it wanted 3.8 for 100% function. I needed 4.4 for Major, and it was a nice match load, put the steel down well and was very accurate.

+1 I'd say 3.8 to 4.0 ought to poof nicely.

I loaded up a box at 3.9. I'll try to get to the range tomorrow and give them a try out.

I have them seated at 1.26, which is a bit longer than the manuals list for that bullet. but much deeper and they'd be right on the edge of the shoulder. I'll see how these feed and adjust if necessary.

I loaded up a box at 3.9. I'll try to get to the range tomorrow and give them a try out.

I have them seated at 1.26, which is a bit longer than the manuals list for that bullet. but much deeper and they'd be right on the edge of the shoulder. I'll see how these feed and adjust if necessary.

If you have feed trouble let me/us know. Getting a good 200 SWC to feed isn't much trouble.

If you have feed trouble let me/us know. Getting a good 200 SWC to feed isn't much trouble.

The 3.9's seated to 1.126 worked fine in my 4" Kimber. 0 FTF. I need to try them in my Gold Cup and in the 745 S&W, but if they will cycle the little Kimber, which has a VERY stiff spring, I suspect they will work well in the others also. They seemed to shoot an inch or two higher @ 15-20 yds. than the 230's I had been loading, but from an improvised rest, I was getting a one hole group at this range. I'll load up a couplew of hundred more and give the load a good workout before making any adjustments.

• 2 weeks later...

epj,

I echo the load data of HSMITH, Austinmike, and DougC for the 200 LSWC.

I just started using clays after I finished my 8 lbs of VVN 320. In my Baer I can make major with 3.8 grains of Clays. In my Para It takes 3.9 to make major. I have found my SD is higher with Clays (12 to 23 using my Dillon 650) than it was with VVN320, and that's the ONLY disapppoinmet I have with the Clasys.

Dano

3.7 to 4.0 for poofer accuracy loads.

3.8 - 4.0 grains of Clays with a 185 or 200 SWC is a fairly well known load for Bullseye. It works very well at 50 yds through most guns. Backing the powder down to 3.5+ works well, keeps the gun functioning and is much softer to shoot at 25 yds.

4.0 grains with a lead 230 was what I was using to get a 178 power factor

• 3 weeks later...