Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked Glock Frame

Dump1567

I had a seattle slug in the rear channel of my G-22.  I just noticed that the grip is cracked from the lanyard hole to the end of the frame.  I guess the allen screw that inserts in the hole that holds the slug in place put undue stress on this area.  Is there any type of glue or epoxy that will bond this area back together?  Anyone else have this problem.  I have one of these slugs in my G-34, and am not sure if I will have the same problem.

I hate to tell you this, but your frame isn't defective.  Wherever plastic flows around a hole, there is what is called a "weld-line."  It's a weak spot where the plastic split around each side of the hole during the molding process and meets back up on the opposite side.  

The hole is for a lanyard and was never meant to be structural.  Sorry it broke, but Glock really isn't responsible for that kind of stuff.  I agree with Matt that it ought to keep working just dandy, Because of the location, it certainly shouldn't get worse or propagate through the frame.

E

I, in no way hold Glock responsible for what happened.  I understand those are the risks you take when you want to trick out a Glock.  Is there anyway to glue it back together?  I was using the flush fit allen screw.  Would it be better to use the one that looks more like a Bolt?

Matt,  

Did you still keep the plug in with the frame broken?

(Edited by Dump1567 at 4:11 pm on April 5, 2002)

I don't know details about the Slug at all.  I really doubt the frame can be glued because of the type of polymer used.  Very little is going to bond to it, especially in that tiny area.  I wouldn't sweat it at all.  I don't think it's going to cause any problems other than the worry of knowing that there's crack there.  It's not going to propagate up the backstrap or anything, so I would just leave it be.  Fixing will probably cause more damage than anything.  

Good luck!

E

(Edited by EricW at 3:35 pm on April 5, 2002)

Matt,

I was using the set screw.  I had shot about 200 rounds over a months time before I noticed it was cracked.  I tried using epoxy and superglue and neither worked.  I'll just leave it alone and won't worry about it.