Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock competitions

jester

I'm a serious NEWBIE when it comes to competitions, so please bear w/ me if my question seem...well...naiive.

I've been to a couple IDPA matches and shot at my 1st one last weekend & noticed ALOT of guys shooting GLocks.  My question is this, why compete in IDPA is GSSF was made just for them?  Does GSSF miss something that IDPA does not?

Just looking for some education...

Jester,

They are just different.  Here is a basic rundown.

GSSF

-  You shoot from one position only.  There is a shooting box for each stage.  You don't leave it.

-  You start with the gun out of the holster, pointed at a 45 degree angle (at the ground, between you and the target).

-  I don't think there are any type of mag changes that are on the clock.

-  Shooting position is always standing.

-  The courses of fire are always the same.  

-  No cover.  No tactical flavor.  Just shooting.

GSSF matches are regional and held annually. See the schedule at gssfonline.com.  Other shooting disciplines like IDPA and IPSC are based at shooting clubs which have a more regular schedule. Find clubs at uspsa.org and idpa.org.  Glocks excel at all of the above! Go try them.  

Debbie

Jester,

GSSF was designed to get the average Joe and Jane gun owner out to a competitive event.  It has been a fantastic success so far.  The emphasis is on safety and fun.  Hence, the lack of movement, mag changes, etc.  This does not mean that it is boring.  It's a hoot.  The people are just great.  And the prize distribution is generous and runs deep down into the pack.  Chances are you'll get a check in the mail if you can shoot at all.

Wrap your paws around some "tactical tupperware" and give it a whirl.

E

• 1 month later...

GSSF is a fun event with a lot of great people. Try it, you'll like it. And as mentioned above, unless you shoot Master the prizes run deep, at least in AmCiv and AmLEO.

(Edited by Fireglock at 10:15 pm on May 19, 2002)

Agree- the GSSF entry price is actually very low if you consider that you have a VERY good chance of winning a prize (possibly a Glock of your choice!) no matter how well you do. Think of it as a very generous lottery that is actually fun to do.

Should you buy a glock for IDPA? Personal choice. I carry a glock concealed so I practice and compete with one as part of what I consider as my responsibility to stay proficient. If you own another brand handgun right now, the best advice I can offer is compete with what you have, talk to folks, and learn what you can. Then decide what to buy. See you at the range!