Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

You think IDPA will ever clean up the rules?

IHAVEGAS

I get how IDPA got to where we are today, at first they wanted to be a self defense sport instead of just a game and later they didn't want to miss the income from pure gamers so they allowed rifles in the game. 

Just wondering if there is any interest in the organization in cleaning things up to correspond to reality and make things as fun as they could be. Getting rid of the reload rules would save butt hurt and debate over procedurals and you wouldn't be throwing away rounds ($) to accommodate the reload rules. Getting rid of the fishing vests also seems like a good idea. I never understood any rational for disallowing some of the most fun targets like the Texas star, I know the excuse given was to keep things realistic but that ship was already long out of dock. 

Just pondering, I enjoy the game as is but think I would enjoy it more if the powers at be just sort of stood back and took an open minded look at where the game is and how it could be more fun. 

2 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Getting rid of the fishing vests also seems like a good idea.

I guess you don’t get that concealment means starting with your gun and mags hidden. Thats it. There is no rule for vests. Competitors (even JJ and Nils) choose to wear a vest, it’s not a requirement or an old man fashion statement. More shooters are starting from appendix as well. 

23 minutes ago, ES13Raven said:

I guess you don’t get that concealment means starting with your gun and mags hidden.

At the point in time when IDPA was trying to be a self defense sport instead of a game concealment made sense, and for those who want to practice with their carry rigs I would never want to disallow them to do that in either IDPA or USPSA. 

Where I'm coming from is looking at the current status of the sport and wondering why there are still any concealment rules at all. 

As much as the rule changes I am happy at level 1 matches that active duty military and law enforcement can use their duty belt as long as they use all the retention devices on their holster. No need for a concealment garment.