Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LnL AP priming issues

I have the notorious issues with primer seating depth for the LnL AP. The difference is my press seems to be impervious to all remedies for this problem.

I have glued things over the divot in the frame has where the primer ram touches it. I have shimmed the subplate. Hornady has sent a replacement subplate. I have verified tightness of the shell plate (this is a separate problem. There is no correct tightness. If it’s tight enough to prevent loosening, it won’t index well and there’s resistance. If it’s loose enough for indexing it comes loose. But thats a different thread). 

What I have noticed is that when I apply force to seat a primer, eventually the shell plate wants to rotate ever so slightly backwards from normal indexing direction. Further, this definitely isn’t from the shellplate not locking into the indexing detentes. This is from *the entire ram rotating slightly in its housing*. I believe the seating force is being wasted rotating the ram backwards slightly. I further believe this is happening because the press handle is mounted off center from the linkage. 

Short of drilling and tapping the press linkage to mount a handle that is center aligned with the linkage, is there anything to be done (besides selling this thing and washing my hands of the problem. I’m pretty close to going back to my Lee Turret)?

Well let's think about this because I have loaded 133,339 rounds on a LNL press with very few problems, so we maybe able to fix this.

First, Small or Large primers?

The shell plate should not move when seating a primer, it only moves if the alignment is off

You may also need some tools like these.

https://www.bragginrightsprecisionreloading.com/product-page/primer-slide-alignment-tools-for-honrady-lock-n-load-progressive-press

https://www.bragginrightsprecisionreloading.com/product-page/45acp-grand-master-kit

Divot doesn't matter, mine has grown over the past 15-20k rounds, but still primes deep.  I recommend you verify the shim you put on the subplate is enough. 

Also, I tighten the shellplate nice and snug (as tight as my hand can do with the big-ass allen key and aluminum wrench thingy in place) with no ill results.  You should be able to really crank down on it.  Mine never has resistance due to tightness.  Maybe you over shimmed if yours does?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/How-to-tune-the-Hornady-Lock-N-Load-AP-progressive-press/42-414607/

Here's the thread i used (maybe you too).

Mine has about 25-30k on it and it still primes nice and deep. I shimmed it when i bought it.

Haven't had a single light strike (not fully seated primer) ever.  They're always below flush.

Edited by nkresho