Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My gun or bad ammo?

GlockFla

I posted on another forum here but discovered this one for Glock. I have a GL23 .40 cal. I normaly shoot Sellier & Bellot ammunition and have had no problems until recently. I have about 800rds through this gun and have had no modifications other than an extended magazine release. Anyway...on ejection the casing is getting slammed somewhere and causing damage to the casing. There are 2 concave dents (one larger than the other) on the open rim of the casing. The large of the 2 dents has marks on it where it is comming into contact w/ metal ...dont know if its the slide or the barrel or what!? Any way...the RO said its the ammo. I have had and did not at that time have any other malfunctions or jamming. It shot fine and I had good hits. Anyway...if you can help plz let me know. Thanks.

I shoot some S&B.  My brass gets dented.  Mostly in one spot though.  It comes from the brass pivoting out and "slamming" into the slide as it exits the gun.  If you are getting two dents...perhaps you brass is also hitting on the inside edge of the ejection port as well.  edit(Which, upon closer examination, appears to be where my brass is likely hitting.)

You should be able to see brass markings on your slide where the brass is making contact.  

As a side note...I tear down my slide fairly often.  I use a Q-tip to clean out the striker channel, and the channel that the spring assemble for the extractor rides in.  I also scrap and clean all the carbon that builds up near the extractor (and on the breech-face).  I use a razor blade as a scraper.  The carbon is very hard to see.  

(Edited by Flexmoney at 8:01 am on July 8, 2002)

Thanks for the info. Yeah I clean my gun religiously:) I dont use a razor or anything but I do clean it thoroughly. One thing about the s&b is that it leaves red markings from the pimer on the strike face of the gun. I plan to put some rounds of another type through my gun today...hopefully I wont have the same results. Is this mostly because the .40 is a hard/fast round? I shoot my GL21 .45 regularly and dont get these resuslts.

I am *really* surprised that folks are so down on S&B.  I've always thought it was good stuff and priced right.  I get dents on my brass all the time -  S&B, reloads, you name it - as long as the case mouth is not kinked it reloads just dandy.  

A little primer sealant on the breechface seems like a non-issue to me.  Unless you're putting thousands of rounds through the gun between cleanings, I can't imagine it ever affecting function.  If you were shooting factory Winchester, you'd have red crud *everywhere* as they goop the stuff over the entire case head these days (or so it would seem).

I would worry less and shoot more.

E