Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W Round nose not feeding

I recently switched from flat point 180gr to round nose 180gr projectiles and loaded them to OAL 1.170 which is fairly the same OAL I load my flat points.

While the flat points have never had a feeding issue, I tend to find more feeding problems with round nose to my surprise. The feeding issue is basically having the bullet half way going into the barrel and the back end just barely slotting into the extractor and will stop there until I rack the gun slightly to let the bullet correct its upward slant and will go straight in.

I am certain its not my extractor since every time I switched back to my flat points, they work 100%.

So I believe it could be OAL issue (not totally sure of this) so my question is should I load longer for round nose or do I have to make them shorter then?

Thoughts would be appreciated, thanks

If its an OAL issue, in that case. Id try 1.150 go shorter, give the bullet a bit more room to break over..
For that matter, you could always load 100 1.150 and a hundred 1.180...
I dont think longer will help though..  I think you have other issues though.. Extractor, high primer, different brass, 

really depends on the powder, some powders length will have more of an effect than others,,, Clays ? yeh you would get into Kaboom territory, Tightgroup ? probably wouldnt care.. Id be reducing anyways.. You are at 178pf... See what the manuals say.. Most likely 1,150 with that bullet is over max OAL, so if you are 10% under book max of your powder I dont see the issue.