Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone run MBX followers on OEM Glock mags?

Ryan N

Posted (edited)

I just purchased (1) MBX follower/spring and installed it in one of my Glock mags with a Arendondo base.  I can load 24 rounds, insert it into the gun and cycle the slide pretty easily which is great. 

I've cycled rounds through the gun by racking rounds through the gun(safe direction, etc, yes).  I've had rounds hang up twice when doing this which doesn't give me warm fuzzys about them running reliably.  Here's a few pictures that show the actual follower and one that shows the carnage.  I'll admit that the issue could be the way I'm manually cycling the rounds through the gun but I very confident that this issue wouldn't appear with an OEM follower.  You can also see that Photo 1 shows that the follower is already bending down on the front left edge where it's thin.   

I'd like to have one of these 24 round mags for the occasional 23 and 24 round stages.  It's strange that I cannot find a single thread or video that is showing issues with these MBX followers in Glock mags.  

MBX1.jpg

Rounds bound up down in mag.  This area is well above the transition area.  I have beveled the transition area.  

MBX4.jpg

Edited by Ryan N

Posted (edited)

The follower also doesn't come up all the way to the top of the mag when unloaded.  The follower is also tipped forward when it's at the top.  

****UPDATE: the issue of the non parallel follower was due to using an older OEM mag.  I swapped over to a new mag that came with my new G17.5 and the MBX follower seems to fit this mag perfectly when the mag is empty. ****  

Pic with older (non ambitious mag)

MBX3.jpg

Edited by Ryan N
Correction

14 minutes ago, OpenshooterMclass4lyfe said:

Bend the coil (spring) that’s closest to the follower up slightly to allow the bullets to hit the top 1/3 of the feed ramp.    Just a slight bend upwards should do the trick. 

Thanks for the input.  I think I resolved tipped follower issue and edited Post #2.  

Try it in practice to see if you get the jumbled bullets issue. 

i have a few, they work well. Never tried manually cycling them. 

Don’t recall the follower being that thin or deforming. 

1 hour ago, DeepFried said:

Try it in practice to see if you get the jumbled bullets issue. 

i have a few, they work well. Never tried manually cycling them. 

Don’t recall the follower being that thin or deforming. 

I appreciate the response.  

I have found that the MBX followers do not work in the order manufactured OEM Glock mags.  I believe the hang up is a clearance issue on the inner left side of the mag (when looking at the mag bullets forward).  I have not had any problems with the MBX followers/ springs with the currently made OEM mags and Arredondo or TTI base pads.  

2 hours ago, PLINK said:

I have found that the MBX followers do not work in the order manufactured OEM Glock mags.  I believe the hang up is a clearance issue on the inner left side of the mag (when looking at the mag bullets forward).  I have not had any problems with the MBX followers/ springs with the currently made OEM mags and Arredondo or TTI base pads.  

That is what I've discovered.  The top of the magazine around the feed lips does not conform to the MBX follower on the older Glock mags.  The new OEM mags that came with my newly purchased G17.5 fit the MBX follower perfectly.  

I run MBX springs and followers in multiple generation mags 3/4/5 and have zero issues. I run them in taran extensions and henning extensions. Manually cycling is an odd thing to do imo, you will never replicate what the slide is actually doing under live fire.

1 hour ago, Cowboy_Ninja said:

I run MBX springs and followers in multiple generation mags 3/4/5 and have zero issues. I run them in taran extensions and henning extensions. Manually cycling is an odd thing to do imo, you will never replicate what the slide is actually doing under live fire.

Glad to hear that.  I've since used the MBX follower and spring with a Gen5 mag on several stages now without issue.  My confidence is increasing.  I agree with you about cycling rounds through manually.... I've been know to do some odd things.  😉