Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice Needed

For reference, 38S and 38 SC are basically the same cartridge, the 38S having a rimmed case, Approximately .900" long and .384 dia. I can, and have shot both from all three of my pistols with no issues, don't have to change/adjust extractors. The 38SC is preferred due to the rimless case, stacks better into the mags and you may be able to get the extra round or two. Also, remember that a new barrel will be short chambered, so a reamer will be required to set the proper depth. You will need tooling to cut the lower barrel feet, pins, calipers, and micrometers. The new barrel will also need to be fit to the slide, soo, if you are not planning to do your own work on many pistols, it will be cheaper to have this done by a good smith. The cost of a barrel and paying a smith will be approximately 500.00, tooling and tools will be more to do it yourself. Ask around in your area for references on a good smith, if a name keeps surfacing from those you ask, maybe an option. There are smiths, and then there are good smiths.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

The 1st gen caspian wide bodies were prone to cracking due the the large cutout in the grip, they fixed it by welding a plate to reinforce the problem area, remove the grips and it’s obvious if it’s been upgraded

the rear of the  rib contour on the Schumann and KKM barrels are different, the Schumann is round, the KKM is squarish, so if your looking for a direct replacement the KKM won’t fit, you’d ether have to modify the cut in the slide, or go with a shorter rib

Schumann barrels no longer exists, and the company that bought them has been bought? (Schumann Z). There are many manufacturers out there, all may be similar, but will be different. Big thing to look for is, Wilson/Nowlin, Clark/Para, or unramped, see the pictures. KKM does make a ribbed barrel that could/may be fit your frame, once again, they are a phone call away, more than willing to help.

As has been mentioned prior, your pistol appears to be of the first Gen(rounded trigger guard), but as rishii says, the best way to tell is to remove the grips. If it is in fact an early gen, I would suggest having it fixed so the frame will not crack. Bob at APW.Cogan.com use to do it but have no idea if he still does. A healthy diet of hi power factor loads is a sure way to crack the frame on an early gen, ask me how i know.

Once again, good luck.

image.jpeg

5 hours ago, shred said:

Yeah, not unless you have a generous chamber.  9x-whatever is tapered case, .38 Super & Comp are straight walled.

This is why often reaming a 9x19 chamber to 38 Super leaves a bulge in fired brass at the back.  It'll work, but be ugly.

A loaded .38 Super (or Comp) round should 'plunk' into a 9x19 (or 9x21) chamber.  It'll stick out 3/16"-ish, but shouldn't be stuck in there.

this is what happens i'm sorry i should have been more specific only when i try to load it in from the mag does it get stuck stuck (probably from force of slide punching it into the chamber) if i plunk it by hand i can shake it out no problemo

2 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

Schumann barrels no longer exists, and the company that bought them has been bought? (Schumann Z). There are many manufacturers out there, all may be similar, but will be different. Big thing to look for is, Wilson/Nowlin, Clark/Para, or unramped, see the pictures. KKM does make a ribbed barrel that could/may be fit your frame, once again, they are a phone call away, more than willing to help.

As has been mentioned prior, your pistol appears to be of the first Gen(rounded trigger guard), but as rishii says, the best way to tell is to remove the grips. If it is in fact an early gen, I would suggest having it fixed so the frame will not crack. Bob at APW.Cogan.com use to do it but have no idea if he still does. A healthy diet of hi power factor loads is a sure way to crack the frame on an early gen, ask me how i know.

Once again, good luck.

image.jpeg

I called KKM and as you said they are super helpful! they said they are sure it can be done as its just a standard wilson nowlin ramp hybricomp bull barrel but couldn't promise it could be done for a super reasonable price (old schuemann price) since it would basically be a one off barrel for them which i understand (fitting and everything included) this may end up being a toss in the safe gun until i can get in contact with Cogan and get some 9x21 brass or oem ammo for now and come back to it later unless i decide to re-list it here on classifieds. Thanks all for the Help everyone!

16 minutes ago, tomjerry1 said:

9x21 can be purchased at Starlinebrass.com, item#2300

thanks tom. ive ordered some to put my major load into. under your advice i have decided to wait to contact cogan custom to see if i can get the frame fixed or potentially warrantied by caspian despite not having the original invoice or order.