Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old Shooter, new path

I’ve been shooting since I was in the Cub Scouts, I belong to a gun club and for the past 50+ years I’ve been a solo shooter doing all types of shooting pistol, shotguns, long range rifle. But I never had a desire to get into competitive shooting. I tried cowboy shooting but I just wanted to shoot I didn’t care for waiting for my turn that’s why I always preferred just going to the range a doing what ever I was in the mood for. 
I’ve now decided to try competition shooting don’t ask me what organization I haven’t figured out what I’ll like but I’m sure I will and I may just do it solo . My routine is to always try to improve and shoot better than I shot before I guess I’m in competition with myself.
I just ordered a Canik SFX Rival s, I’m going to add the MeCanik MO1 RED DOT I would have preferred the MO 3 but I couldn’t locate one .  I’ll work on getting my new setup into shape I’ll probably install a Galloway spring kit , w74 tungsten guide rod a few Wolff springs for different loads. A Freedomsmith Sport trigger. Not sure if I’ll use it all but I got it just in case. I also ordered a Ghost Hydra p+ holster , I liked the black scorpion double stack mag pouch and KoreEssentials belt . So I’ll be all set I use my Dry fire program on my phone to practice. I know how to shoot but I’m going to have to learn how to do it faster and smart. Will I compete I really don’t know  but I’ll definitely give all options a shot.

i have a 35 yard range in my back yard but I only shoot PCP air guns there. It’s convenient and it helps to keep sharp. 
im happy I found this forum in the short time I’ve been here it’s been an excellent source for learning what I need to know. 

Welcome.  I'm shooting a Rival S with the ME03.  If you can't find the ME03, may I suggest the Holosun 507 Comp.  The ME01 isn't in the same league. 😉

You may want to just shoot it a bit before you start mod'ing.  It's pretty good out of the box. 😀 

Welcome to a fun activity! I've been somewhat intermittent for the last 15-20 years but getting back into it. The best way to get started is to use what you got then figure out what might work better as you go. But asking your squad mates about their setups helps to lessen the learning curve.

Shooting on your own can be great fun but you will learn more, and faster, if you go with a group of people who already know stuff. Perhaps there is a club in your area? For some, going to a club practice or match, becomes a social event where people also shoot.