Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone used lag bolt screws instead of ground stakes?

Posted (edited)

We have a bunch of bent ground stakes and a lot of people asking for a hammer drill to help set stages. Instead of investing in a couple hammer drills and continually replacing bent ground stakes has anyone used large lag bolt screws? Our ground composition is a mix of sandy clay and I think it would hold well. The only problem I've found is they are EXPENSIVE. Has anyone sourced a discount in bulk? We need 300-400. If they're durable enough it might be worth the investment. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

Hammer drills rock to set stages... They rarely bend stakes if you use a sleeved-driver. 

If you get screws I think you'd want a beefy power-driver to screw them in or are you thinking hammer in straight?

23 minutes ago, shred said:

Hammer drills rock to set stages... They rarely bend stakes if you use a sleeved-driver. 

If you get screws I think you'd want a beefy power-driver to screw them in or are you thinking hammer in straight?

Screwing them in for sure, the bending of stakes usually happens on removal. Either rocking wall feet or target stands to get them pulled up. 

Yeah, having lots of good pry-bars on hand help reduce bending on removal, but don't always prevent it.  

For a while I'd drop in on garage sales and grab every crowbar or flat-blade pick that was reasonably priced and make them into prying tools (grind a notch into the center of the flat-pick) until we had enough.  Since then the club bought some more-better pry tools, but the crowbars and pry picks still get used.