Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suppressor mounting questions

I have just finished building an AR-15 pistol and I'm waiting for the SBR paperwork to go through.  I've also got an Otter Creek Labs Polonium K suppressor on order.  This is my first suppressor, and I'm wondering about the best way to attach it to the barrel.  I still haven't decided whether I want to do direct mount or QD (I do have a 16" AR I could suppress), but either way I want to make sure nothing comes loose.  So, my questions are:

1) If I decide to go the QD route, which setup would you recommend?  According to the manufacturer, the suppressor "features industry standard universal 1.375×24 rear threads so you can pick what mounting system best fits your needs."

2) Either way, should I use Rocksett, red Loctite, some other product, or nothing at all?  

3) I've got a 12.5" barrel and an 11.5" handguard, so if I mount the suppressor directly, I won't be able to clamp the barrel.  Is a Bev Block the way to go?

Thanks!

John

Posted (edited)

If you plan to move the suppressor around to different rifles, go with a QD mount. 
The Silencerco ASR mount and the Dead Air key mount are very nice options if you plan to switch from whatever comes with the suppressor you purchased. 
Just know it can get expensive very quickly with the mount plus all the muzzle devices to put on each host, so do your research before opening your wallet. 

If you decide to go with QD mounts using muzzle brakes don’t use crush washers if it needs to be timed. Use peel washers. 

Edited by Matt1911

Thanks for the info!  Yeah, I can see how this could get very expensive.  Do you use any kind of threadlocking compound on anything?

4 hours ago, jmac2112 said:

Thanks for the info!  Yeah, I can see how this could get very expensive.  Do you use any kind of threadlocking compound on anything?

No.  
The mounts keep the can on pretty solid, and there’s no need to thread lock the brake/flash hider. Just torque it down to 25-30 ft lbs.