Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA 3 gun division questions

1 hour ago, RJH said:

Good point right here. This was a key factor in me deciding to just bite the bullet and switch to open. One of the clubs I shoot at tends to have a combination of tough shots, long stages, and for the stage length, relatively short stage times. 

After I switched to open, timing out was no longer an issue, and I realized that shooting open is really no more expensive than shooting any of the other divisions. I was looking very hard at putting together a really good modified style shotgun and in doing so realized I could shoot open for the same money, or really quite a bit less

Yup, and once you make the jump you are free to put optics on all the guns, missing with a shotgun that you are slow to reload is especially painful, I love my dot on my shotgun.  And timing out because you had to reload when you could have cleaned the stage with a simple open shotgun with a longer tube and getting FTE/FTN penalties on all of the targets you didn't get to is a huge bag of discouragement.  And I think this discourages many new 3gunners, they try it with their 870 with an IC choke, and then don't ever come back because they are waiting to get a better shotgun, but then just go shoot USPSA or 2gun instead.

You are in good shape if you just put a long tube on your Remington, maybe also a Romeo5, screw in a Mod or ImpMod and go get some 👍

Posted (edited)

To me, 3 gun became a lot more fun when I switched to open. It puts emphasis on shooting and not reloading. When I started 10 or so years ago, I couldn't get quads in for anything. It was very frustrating. In the southeast here, open is the largest division followed by carry optics then tac ops. 

Edited by donno