Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Successful Hiperfire PDI swap JP-5

Went down the rabbit hole on replacing the factory trigger on my JP-5. First tried the SD-3g and could consistently bump fire the gun if I slow pulled the trigger.. wasn't worth the risk IMO as I'm primarily an IDPA competitor (and USPSA). 

Then dropped in the Timney AR competition and while it works without modification, the trigger isn't all that much different than the stock trigger. I didn't like the hard wall feel of the stock trigger so the search continued. 

As we all know the ejector gets in the way of 99% of replacement options.. which is really a pain for tinkering types. 

I had a Hiperfire PDI in the drawer and got to thinking, if the Timney works then why can't this drop in? I took it apart and took basic measurements with calipers to see if it could. Then got to work with a mill and dremel. After an hour or so of test fitting it all went back together and function checked just fine! 

Live fire today (200 rounds) went GREAT with 0 malfunctions! Trigger is pulling consistently just under 2lbs. There is a good amount of pre travel however in live fire it feels great. I could get reliable .14 splits with a few .12s in there. 2 USPSA matches coming up in the next 3 days and an IDPA Major next weekend so I'm stoked this worked out! 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5t5hk0y-u2/?igsh=MWZzcG5qczE5c2JjMg==

20240412_163614.jpg

First off, that paint job is awesome!! I love the factory trigger in my ‘5 so I don’t think I’m changing it anytime soon. Do you find that the new trigger with more take up is “squishier”? That’s been my experience with my CZ pistols. In fact I’m working on getting a more defined “wall” on a my CZ TSO - crazy low trigger pull, just under 2lbs, but I feel like I don’t get enough of a positive reset. I like the trigger to push back after firing. Not sure this related to the wall or not.

Regardless, keep us posted on how you like it in matches.

Good luck
Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2024 at 11:14 AM, philmadxx said:

First off, that paint job is awesome!! I love the factory trigger in my ‘5 so I don’t think I’m changing it anytime soon. Do you find that the new trigger with more take up is “squishier”? That’s been my experience with my CZ pistols. In fact I’m working on getting a more defined “wall” on a my CZ TSO - crazy low trigger pull, just under 2lbs, but I feel like I don’t get enough of a positive reset. I like the trigger to push back after firing. Not sure this related to the wall or not.

Regardless, keep us posted on how you like it in matches.

Good luck

So it ran flawlessly over 8 USPSA stages today. I'm averaging .02 second faster splits on targets compared to stock and the Timney (just gauging similar distances from past matches). Getting down to .13s a few times and consistently pulling .14s. I know I can push in practice to .11s-.12s so we'll see how this setup plays out when I learn it.

Now the pre travel is long. At least in dry fire. In practice it's not noticeable because it has a more rolling break feel (like an sd3g) with a very positive, short reset. The trigger is pulling 1lb 12oz on my Wheeler digital gauge. 

As far as performance goes, I took 1st in PCC and 5th Overall with 95% points possible. My only hindrance today was physical condition (I have significant disabilities due to multiple back surgeries and leg issues). So the gun isn't letting me down which is great! 

More to come! 

20240412_163823.jpg

Edited by EurAzn12
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

What milling and Dremel work were required?  I don't have one of these guns, but always curious about innovative gunsmithing solutions.

I neglected to take a photo of it out. But essentially had to remove the red highlighted area to fit a notch for the ejector to fit. 

I used a drill press like a mill to remove the basic area and then cleaned it up with a drum attachment on the dremel. 

20240412_133856.jpg

20240412_163608.jpg

Edited by EurAzn12