Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Your Guys Help On Getting Into Idpa - Just Joined

mbender

I just joined and plan on shooting at my clubs meet at the end of Jan. I have a 4" Springfield Loaded 1911 pistol that I want to use. I have a Milt Sparks WS (also just ordered a OWB). I have a comp tac mag carrier but now see that they have an IDPA complient one. Does this mean I can use mine. I measured it and its just a hair short. I have 2 factory mags (7 rds). Can you guys help me with what esle I need? Also what class should I be shooting in? I know that CDP will allow 8 rounds. Should I buy 3 8 rounders, and a double mag carrier? I think this is the class I would be in but when you read it, it doesnt sound like something for beginners. I am a decent shot but no pro. I dont care about being the best. Just want to have fun, be competitive (someday down the road), and get a little move and shoot training along the way.

I wear glasses. I usually just wear them to shoot. Can I do this with IPDA? Should I look for some that will go over my glasses although I havent ever ran across them in the past or I would have picked them up. Cant wear contacts.

Thanks guys,

Also any pointers you would like to share would be a great help.

Mike

Mike you are fine with the gun and the holster. You can shoot the gun in CDP or ESP if you are so inclined but wouldn't reccomend it. There are no rules against using a 7 round magazines but would suggest picking up a couple 8 rounders. The old Comp-tac mag pouch is now illegal but I doubt anyone at a local match will say anything especially to a new shooter.

As to the glasses issue I would only wear themp if they are impact resistant which most are nowadays. IDPA rules state you must have eye and ear protection. What you consider protection is up to you. Since you only have one set of eyeballs and ear drums I would suggest that you use the best safety equipment you can afford.

I wish I could say more but am running out the door.

Mike,

I got my start shooting IDPA and I really like it! I still shoot it now but have also ventured out into IPSC shooting as well since they only have 2 IDPA Matches a month here where I live.

One thing that you need to bring is an over shirt, you could buy a vest but try it out first with a shirt. See if you like it before you buy a vest. In IDPA they start off everything as if you were carrying a weapon in public for real (gun is out of sight, gun at the middle of hip and magazines the same on the other side). Magazines, get a few Wilson Combat 8 rounders. In IDPA I carry 4 mags with me (2 reloaders, main magazine to start with, and 1 magazine that I load my first round with so I'm loaded at 8 + 1 rounds).

The guys at most local clubs are going to be willing to help you out, so you don't have to worry about having all of the right equipment on your first shoot. It's very laid back and fun. I've made a lot of great friends throughout the sport and have drastically improved my overall shooting and gun handling abilities. Keep us updated.

Chad

Edited by Cjblackmon

Thanks guys. I will pick up a few 8 rounders. Are Fobus double mag carriers any good? Dont seem like it would be wise to spend a lot on IDPA mag carrier since I would use my comptac for carry. The comp tac is only a single. I do plan on buying some good perscription shooting glasses shortly down the road. Just need some stuff to get me going. Spent a lot recently on reloading stuff. Thanks for the tip on the shirt but its cold here and I would think a jacket would be good for cover until it gets warm out.

Mike

As Chad has already said. Don't be to concerned about what you take to the first match or two. If you are treated as I was - You will find everyone around you more than willing to help with whatever equipment needs or advise and answers to any questions you have. After you first match or two you will have seen what equipment the other shooters have and make an informed decision as to what will work well for you.

My .02. :)

Thanks guys. I will pick up a few 8 rounders. Are Fobus double mag carriers any good? Dont seem like it would be wise to spend a lot on IDPA mag carrier since I would use my comptac for carry. The comp tac is only a single. I do plan on buying some good perscription shooting glasses shortly down the road. Just need some stuff to get me going. Spent a lot recently on reloading stuff. Thanks for the tip on the shirt but its cold here and I would think a jacket would be good for cover until it gets warm out.

I use a Fobus double carrier with my Glock. It works fine. If your shooting outside a jacket works, but if your inside then a big shirt is the way to go. I've shot outside when it's been cold and still used my shirt. After I'm finished I'll just put my coat back on to keep warm.

Enjoy it, any trigger time is good time.

Bruce

Are Fobus double mag carriers any good?

Matter of fact I started shooting IDPA with a Glock 19. I really got into shooting 1911's again and now I just shoot CDP Class. When I started shooting CDP I used my fobus double stack mag carrier for my Glock 19 mags before I found my 1911 mag carriers. They'll work fine!!!

Equipment: I have used a Fobus mag pouch and I like it. The Fobus holster for my P14.45 is great, but I tried one with my G-35 and it was way too tight. Make sure it's tight enough but not too tight. For a cover garment I use a windbreaker and put my keys in the strong side pocket. I also shoot with glasses. I've shot with nonprescription sunglasses in the past, but now I shoot with nontinted prescription glasses. I wear them when driving to the range so my eyes are adjusted to ambient light.

Rules: Look up the rules and begin learning them. Learn the safety rules first, and concentrate on not breaking the 180 (pointing the gun uprange, even slightly) and on keeping your finger off the trigger unless shooting. Next, learn the rules on equipment. Next, learn the rules on cover and other aspects of the actual competition. If you shoot USPSA or anything other than IDPA, you'll need to learn the differences and remember them in matches.

Find a mentor.

Keep a shooting diary. Mine helps me keep track of a lot of things. Plus it's kind of fun, like having a fantasy football team, but it's you!

• 4 weeks later...

Mike,

I just started in IDPA last summer....really enjoying it! The shooting diary is a great idea...I keep one myself so that I can see if I'm improving and what I need to work on.

Regarding equipment..I have a glock 19 and I first bought a fobus holster and double mag pouch...and they worked o.k. I just recently bought a bladetek holster and double mag pouch. These cost about $50 - $60 for the holster and about $40 for the mag pouch. It is well worth the investment!

The main point for me is to practice, carry, and compete with the same equipment. If you practice and compete with something you don't carry....how well are you going to know the equipment, if you unfortunately get into an incident??? You'll be in hot water!!!

Anyway...that's my philosophy!

Why make it complicated?

At my local club and the ones close to home...everyone is wonderful and will help you in anyway that you need!

Good Luck and have fun!

Fobus mag pouches are fine, I think Flex said that he uses them and he is a GM. It' s more the Indian than the arrow these days for me.

On the glasses. If they are impact resistant - call the place that you bought them and ask if you don't know- and they are large enough, they will be OK. I say the part about large enough because these days it is fashionable to wear itty bitty small specs.

The first time that you see someone else bleed from splatter off of steel you will think, man am I glad that I am wearing protective lenses. The first time the blood is yours from splatter you will think about wearing a full face shield - kidding. Don't wear small eye protection.

Two good places for good shooting glasses are Randolff Ranger and Decot-Hywyd. I think Oakley also makes some perscription stuff. If you don't have large protective lenses wear a protective glasses over them. Then go have fun!

Rick

I just joined and plan on shooting at my clubs meet at the end of Jan. I have a 4" Springfield Loaded 1911 pistol that I want to use. I have a Milt Sparks WS (also just ordered a OWB). I have a comp tac mag carrier but now see that they have an IDPA complient one. Does this mean I can use mine. I measured it and its just a hair short. I have 2 factory mags (7 rds). Can you guys help me with what esle I need? Also what class should I be shooting in? I know that CDP will allow 8 rounds. Should I buy 3 8 rounders, and a double mag carrier? I think this is the class I would be in but when you read it, it doesnt sound like something for beginners. I am a decent shot but no pro. I dont care about being the best. Just want to have fun, be competitive (someday down the road), and get a little move and shoot training along the way.

I wear glasses. I usually just wear them to shoot. Can I do this with IPDA? Should I look for some that will go over my glasses although I havent ever ran across them in the past or I would have picked them up. Cant wear contacts.

Thanks guys,

Also any pointers you would like to share would be a great help.

Mike

Mike; if you want to buy new mag holders, go ahead, but there is a simple fix for your Comp-tacs. I had the same problem with a few of mine, and it can be fixed and you can save some money.

Do you have females in your family? Then you almost certainly have access to a hairdrier. If you can get your hands on one, do this:

Insert an unloaded magazine into the mag holder. Turn the hairdrier on to its hottest setting, and set it right up close to the bottom of the mag holder, where the two bottom flanges come together to close the bottom of the mag.

Let the mag holder get good and hot, this may take a few minutes. Every now and then, push down on the magazine so it puts pressure on the flanges at the bottom of the holder. You want to *very carefully* spread those flanges so they allow the magazine to sit lower in the mag holder.

Kydex is easily manipulated when it is hot, so this should be an easy fix for you. I fixed half a dozen mag holders just this way for my CZ and my Glock mag holders. No reason it won't work for single stack holders as well.

Personally, I prefer single mag pouches. I prefer them because they allow you more freedom to position the holders around belt loops, etc. Also, I have found that many types of double mag-holders sit too close together, and can make it difficult to access the front mag properly. Even worse, with some mag holders, it is possible to knock the back one out and drop it when pulling the front one. Just my experience, here.

Definitely get the eight round mags. No reason to short yourself shooting a full-sized 1911.

Most people prefer vests for their concealment garments. I use the same ones on the street that I shoot from in matches. My favorite vests came from here:

www.concealedcarryoutfitters.com

I wear glasses also, and just use them for protection on the range.

Have fun, be safe!

Andy C.