Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas Hyperion RDS, not able to use my Atlas thumb rest from Atlas Titan

Daslinger

My Black Friday Hyperion RDS isn’t able to accept my Atlas thumb stop slide rest from my Titan or Aretemis.

I just ordered another Atlas thumb rest from Modern Warriors. It must be the slide cutout for the slide stop is just a little tighter on my Hyperion. Regular slide stop snaps in, maybe a little snugger than on my other Atlases.

Would I be able to give the new thumb rest to my local gunsmith to take down the hump on the new Atlas thumb rest. I figure much safer to try and trim down a little bit of material from a $140 slide stop thumb rest, rather than touch a beautiful polished slide.

Or should I send the gun to Atlas and have them fit it for me ?

Thanks for any insight 

11 hours ago, Bentron said:

If you want a thumb rest buy the atlas frame mounted and have that installed by them. 

Just bought one, should have in a couple of days. It’s an Atlas thumb rest, but purchased from a retailer as Atlas is sold out. Once I get it I’ll get in touch with atlas and explain the situation.

On 12/5/2023 at 8:42 PM, Daslinger said:

Just bought one, should have in a couple of days. It’s an Atlas thumb rest, but purchased from a retailer as Atlas is sold out. Once I get it I’ll get in touch with atlas and explain the situation.

Its what ive been wanting to do but I dont have an atlas so I need to find a gunsmith to drill and tap my frame. You might be able to save some time if you have a trusted gunsmith local to you. 

Edited by Bentron

5 hours ago, Daslinger said:

No way would I let a local gunsmith “drill and tap my frame.”

Maybe I would let the gunsmith take some material off the thumb rest.”

Probably makes more sense to contact Atlas.

Drilling and tapping the frame is easy. Any decent gunsmith shouldn’t have an issue with this small job. 

10 hours ago, donnyglock said:

Drilling and tapping the frame is easy. Any decent gunsmith shouldn’t have an issue with this small job. 

I talked to Randy at Atlas and they were going to charge me $150 to send the gun in, and may not have been able to get to it right away.

So while not in love with sending this beautiful gun in for this…….

I decided to use a small rubber mallet from a punch kit and I light tapped it twice…….and it fit !   Only down side having to use something to tap in the thumb rest when reassembling the gun, as I guess my thumb is too weak to snap it in on its own, and I didn’t want to force it. But the tap worked !

2 hours ago, Daslinger said:

I talked to Randy at Atlas and they were going to charge me $150 to send the gun in, and may not have been able to get to it right away.

So while not in love with sending this beautiful gun in for this…….

I decided to use a small rubber mallet from a punch kit and I light tapped it twice…….and it fit !   Only down side having to use something to tap in the thumb rest when reassembling the gun, as I guess my thumb is too weak to snap it in on its own, and I didn’t want to force it. But the tap worked !

You need to make sure it can be removed and installed easily. Remove a small amount of material from Area until it goes in an out easily. 

5 hours ago, donnyglock said:

You need to make sure it can be removed and installed easily. Remove a small amount of material from Area until it goes in an out easily. 

Yeah it can come out easily enough with the tip of a pen pushing it out. Although I’ve only put it back in twice and I needed a little tap. 
Would rather not go through the hassle and expense of sending it back to Atlas. And I wouldn’t know and I think my local gunsmith wouldn’t know exactly where to take material from. 

Hopefully it wears in a little and I will be able to snap it in with my fingers/thumb in the future.