Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quality Organization(s)to Donate Firearm Collection

This may seem like a weird topic but here goes.

A few years ago when I updated my estate plan I had my firearms go to a good friend and the IDPA group at a local gun club. I don't want my wife to have the hassle of trying to sell or otherwise get rid of my guns if something happens to me.  Well, fast forward a couple of years and my friend has some serious health problems and I may have to handle his guns before he ever has to take care of mine. Then, infighting at the gun club between shotgunners and pistol shooters could bring an end to the IDPA events so I don't want my guns going to a bunch of a$#holes who oppose public matches at their range.

So I am now looking for new ideas of who I can leave my collection to. Nothing spectacular,  2 shotguns, 4 rifles, and 5 pistols though I am in the process of buying 2 high end 2011s. I know the NRA accepts firearm donations but for several reasons I am not keen on giving them to the NRA. I've never seen  if IDPA or USPSA accept such donations. Not sure what other stand up organizations are out there that I could consider. Any suggestions?

And no, individual forum members are not eligible no matter how good you  🙂

Thanks

Interesting...here it's rifle and pistol guys vs Sporting Clays guys, 900 vs less than 20, respectively.

Here we have a junior rifle league and 4H youth groups a person could donate to. I imagine they would turn around and sell them to get funds.

I know one shooter who is selling off his inventory as no one in his family wants them.

I guess there is no easy solution.

1 hour ago, PhotoRecon said:

Interesting...here it's rifle and pistol guys vs Sporting Clays guys, 900 vs less than 20, respectively.

Here we have a junior rifle league and 4H youth groups a person could donate to. I imagine they would turn around and sell them to get funds.

I know one shooter who is selling off his inventory as no one in his family wants them.

I guess there is no easy solution.

Yeah, I don't have kids and my relatives who don't shoot anyway live in communist NYC.

If I know I have limited time I coul try to sell them to relieve my wife of the burden. Where I live in NC there is a local gun dealer who "preys" on widows, buying their husband's guns for cheap and then selling them for much more $$$$. On top of that he takes all the ammo at no cost as part of the purchase. Something I want to avoid.

I would contact several people/dealers in your area and make a list of the ones you find most trustworthy.

Then make a list with phone numbers in order of preference for your wife and kids to call when you keel over. They are going to have to call some one anyway, who better to vett that person than you