Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

aphantasia

Russty

So, I just found out (at age 57) that I have aphantasia. If you don't care to Google it, that means I don't "see" images when I close my eyes and think of stuff. For example, when I think of a chair, I don't "see" a chair in my mind, just thoughts of what a chair looks like, not the image of one. And now I know not to beat myself up on not visualizing my run prior to shooting it. I can't! I can think of where I need to go, what to shoot, when to reload. But, I can't "see" it. I thought I was just not locking it in and now I know to stop thinking I'm a slacker and just use what I can and shoot. This is supposedly a rare condition, but if you have found yourself, like me, unable to visualize a stage, Google aphantasia and take a two second test. I had no idea I wasn't capable of "seeing" things until today!

13 hours ago, Russty said:

So, I just found out (at age 57) that I have aphantasia. If you don't care to Google it, that means I don't "see" images when I close my eyes and think of stuff. For example, when I think of a chair, I don't "see" a chair in my mind, just thoughts of what a chair looks like, not the image of one. And now I know not to beat myself up on not visualizing my run prior to shooting it. I can't! I can think of where I need to go, what to shoot, when to reload. But, I can't "see" it. I thought I was just not locking it in and now I know to stop thinking I'm a slacker and just use what I can and shoot. This is supposedly a rare condition, but if you have found yourself, like me, unable to visualize a stage, Google aphantasia and take a two second test. I had no idea I wasn't capable of "seeing" things until today!

In the Last Samurai, the scene of "Too Many Mind" is explained as to not focus on the people around you, the grass, and so on. But to envision your techniques. Then Tom Cruise slow plays the technique in his mind, which is a great example of what aphantasia can block. It apparently comes in different "levels". Some people can see some shapes, and then different levels of vividness. It also impacts how much people dream. Kinda crazy.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure what to say.  When I try to visualize an apple or hammer or tractor I see a vague representation of the object for a very brief time (I have to do a constant refresh if I want to keep seeing it).  I can put a worm half way in the apple or change its color but again, nothing stays for more than a split second and no minute details.  It's hard to explain but kind of like I don't really see the object but just an idea of the object, which is the reality isn't it? Am i also sufferig from Aphantasia??