Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different Approach Working Well

As I’ve gotten back into shooting every available match with two clubs, I’m approaching my individual practice in a different way.

In the past I practiced a good bit and thought a lot of reps plus putting energy into speed, plus what I thought were good fundamentals, would move me ahead.  This did yield progress, but this time around I’m putting more time into breaking things down toward more efficiency.

I call my draw of today “new” because I went back to the drawing board and reworked it.  This helped me out in today’s Steel Challenge where obviously the draw is a significant portion of each string’s time.

At some point I’ll detail the changes I made, but in summary it’s a chain of small things that comprise a new and more efficient approach to the draw.  It worked today and I was pretty happy about it.

This is the first time I can recall where I was able to stay aware of certain small techniques during match shooting, and where it went well.

Oh yeah, I also broke down the box to box movement required in Outer Limits, practiced it, applied it, and reaped a good result.

In keeping with this forum area’s title, the little thing I’ve noticed is the value of examining the little things I do and going ahead with a rework of something I did before without thinking much about it.  It’s being Captain Obvious to say that but it can really help.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/13/2023 at 10:11 PM, GunBugBit said:

As I’ve gotten back into shooting every available match with two clubs, I’m approaching my individual practice in a different way.

In the past I practiced a good bit and thought a lot of reps plus putting energy into speed, plus what I thought were good fundamentals, would move me ahead.  This did yield progress, but this time around I’m putting more time into breaking things down toward more efficiency.

I call my draw of today “new” because I went back to the drawing board and reworked it.  This helped me out in today’s Steel Challenge where obviously the draw is a significant portion of each string’s time.

At some point I’ll detail the changes I made, but in summary it’s a chain of small things that comprise a new and more efficient approach to the draw.  It worked today and I was pretty happy about it.

This is the first time I can recall where I was able to stay aware of certain small techniques during match shooting, and where it went well.

Oh yeah, I also broke down the box to box movement required in Outer Limits, practiced it, applied it, and reaped a good result.

In keeping with this forum area’s title, the little thing I’ve noticed is the value of examining the little things I do and going ahead with a rework of something I did before without thinking much about it.  It’s being Captain Obvious to say that but it can really help.

thanks for your post this is a great observation and development milestone

i think it applies at all levels. breaking each element down and practicing it is how progress is made

as sort if a extrapolation to your pose:

lately i have been kind of at a plateau and took a Ben Stoeger class that broke me out of it.

the main thing i got from it was for each drill, narrow your focus to the point of that drill.

for a transition drill for instance, focus on transition elements only (eyes lead gun, look to a specific spot on target, dont overmuscle). dont focus on your draw too much or other elements.

this helps me a lot because i used to try and focus on a bunch of elements for one drill.

tldr: i think breaking things down are great. i also think narrowing your focus on drills yields faster learning.

On 9/12/2023 at 9:49 PM, dsmarty386 said:

thanks for your post this is a great observation and development milestone

i think it applies at all levels. breaking each element down and practicing it is how progress is made

as sort if a extrapolation to your pose:

lately i have been kind of at a plateau and took a Ben Stoeger class that broke me out of it.

the main thing i got from it was for each drill, narrow your focus to the point of that drill.

for a transition drill for instance, focus on transition elements only (eyes lead gun, look to a specific spot on target, dont overmuscle). dont focus on your draw too much or other elements.

this helps me a lot because i used to try and focus on a bunch of elements for one drill.

tldr: i think breaking things down are great. i also think narrowing your focus on drills yields faster learning.

This this this, it has helped me out so much lately. Also found this out from a Ben Stoeger video.

38 minutes ago, JDalton203 said:

This this this, it has helped me out so much lately. Also found this out from a Ben Stoeger video.

awesome! 

its tedious but i read each blurb from his dryfire book now right before doing the drill to make sure im focused on the right things.

sometimes it gets to be annoying because i just want to "do the drill already" but it always pays off

6 minutes ago, dsmarty386 said:

awesome! 

its tedious but i read each blurb from his dryfire book now right before doing the drill to make sure im focused on the right things.

sometimes it gets to be annoying because i just want to "do the drill already" but it always pays off

Same haha! I'll pull the video up as well as I am performing each drill.